Wild River shelters removal

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arghman

Reaction score
Goffstown, NH Avatar: No Once-lers or thneeds
[Continued from several other threads. Search for "wild river shelters" and you'll find them]

I just got an email msg with a "Decision Memo" regarding the Wild River Shelter Removal project. (there is a homepage on WMNF website but it doesn't include the memo yet) I haven't read through all of it in detail, but what it boils down to is:

* No decision has been made for Perkins Notch Shelter yet (it apparently is still being evaluated for historical value)
* Spruce Brook Shelter will be removed
* Blue Brook Shelter will be removed and reassembled at Wild River Campground

If I find a link to the "Decision Memo" on the WMNF website I will post it here.

I am posting this for informational purposes. Please do not turn this thread into an argument about Wilderness, or the government doing things "we" don't want. In previous threads I was upset with the idea of shelter removal -- however, after being involved in the process, being listened to by WMNF officials & seeing what the some of the other issues are, I've been able to accept this decision.

Was there a timeline included in the decision?
6.0 ‐‐ Implementation Date
The initial phases of the project focusing on education, outreach, and logistical planning will start in the last months of 2008. During the summer of 2009, sitework will commence beginning with tent pad creation, site definition and rehabilitation of select areas. Structure removal will begin in the summer and fall of 2009. Once removal is complete at a site, larger scale rehabilitation work will take place.

=====
I wrote back asking if the memo is on the web somewhere, will post when I receive a reply.

I'm bumping this up to inquire if anybody knows the status of structure removal in the Wild River area. My understanding is that work was supposed to start this summer. I'm planning a backpack trip to the area in a couple of weeks and I'd like to know what to expect.

The Perkins Notch privy was just removed "for safety reasons" according to the WMNF web site.

We were out there last Saturday (8/1) and both shelters were still there.

Thanks to all; that's the information I was looking for.

Blue Brook Shelter Still There, But...

We were there yesterday:

Yes, it's still there, but

--It's too short to lay down in (had to sleep diagonally), which is quite odd;

--It's darker than the caves of Altamira: you could sleep 'til noon and not know it's sunny;

--It's surrounded by dismantled plywood, nails, rusted paint buckets, trash, a fire ring and bbq grates (?),charred wood, the list goes on. Definitely the most ghetto lean-to EVER;

--It's got a latrine, but well in keeping with the general outlook;

--It's got an incredibly beautiful waterfall (which is quite lush at the moment), but there are trashed (and closed) illegal campsites surrounding it.

Given how pretty the area is, it was odd to find such an ugly campsite!

Nonetheless, the area is gorgeous, so go on over!

--Mike.