can anybody look at their Atlas Snowshoes for me ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
Can you look at the strap that the binding attaches to that wraps around the frame ? Is that strap secured to the frame on both sides ? If it is, then if one or 2 of the rivets that attach the binding fail, it wouldn't be catastrophic. If not, one rivet failing would allow the entire attachment to unravel. thanks

210253992_400_v1_m56577569830682083.jpg

I'm pretty sure I can see the rivet on both sides in the underside view. Looks to be only one on each side though and then wouldn't one rivet cause it to fail completely?

Tim

No, I don't think so. If both sides of the strap are riveted to the frame, they could both fail and the binding would be fine. Separately, if one or 2 rivets that hold the binding to the strap failed, the system would be fine, I think.

Like Tim, I think I can see the same rivet on the inside of the frame on the underside view.

My old sherpa's had rivets on the rubberized strap the binding sat on both side, but they were on the outside which eventually got destroyed and I replaced with a screw!

those crampons spikes look really thin!

Jay

I don't have mine in front of me, but there are rivets that attach the straps to the frame on both sides. Otherwise, the straps would slide along the frames when going up or downhill.

I checked mine and they do have a rivet attaching the strap to the frame on both the left and right side, plus the 4 rivets attaching the binding, for 6 rivets total. Mine is an older model Atlas but the design of the strapping and binding is essentialy the same as the pictured model.

Not having one in front of me, I can only guess. Based on the photo I see one rivet on each end of the light-beige strap that is wrapped twice around the frame. If both these rivets failed, what is holding the binding? It appears it may be held on to the decking / frame by another rivet (the same one holding the decking on just head of the binding), in which case all the weight would be through the decking and not transferred to the frame (which then transfers it to the decking.) Again, this is just a guess... What am I missing?

Wait, perhaps you mean the attachment of the straps to the bottom of the binding itself?

Or, if the rivet breaks, then perhaps it will slide around some (forward/aft)? I was thinking if the strap broke at the rivet, then one whole side is gone.

(I am considering a pair of 1230/1235s at some point, the MSR Denalis aren't that great in 2'+ of powder, even with 8" tails...)

Tim

Last edited:
I know for my Sherpas that there is enough tension in the binding strap that if both rivets failed it would very very slowly make it's way towards the back but it wouldn't instantly blow up and freely slide up and down, there is probably enough tension in the strap that it would have to almost slide up together which prolongs it. In fact, when I noticed my one rivet failed in my Sherpa, I first noticed that the snowshoe seemed off-kilter, like crooked and eventually replaced with a screw. the other screw (on the outside) was fine.

Ever since then, I marked the snowshoes and left the screw on the outside of the right shoe even though technically, the Sherpas did NOT have a specific left show and right shoe. Atlas does it better in putting the rivets on the inside where you wont bash them against the other shoe, smarter design.

If the strap itself breaks, then all hell breaks loose I think, however, the strap on my Sherpas looked very beefy and it never even so much as had a nick in it before the lacing and rivets blew up.

Jay

I can tell you that the binding system has held up very well on both my Atlas 12 series. They have taken a lot of abuse over many winters and the only rivet needing replacing was one on the bottom of the binding. The strap rivets are intact. The strap itself is a rubber-over-rope type material (it is showing some wear on mine) but is holding up well also. I will say that Cabela’s sells a cheaper version of Atlas that I also own and the rivets are on the bottom of the frame and is not nearly as good a ‘shoe as the 12 series.

okay, FWIW; here's the binding attachment of a new pair of Tubbs Sojourns. The binding is attached to the bar with 4 rivets, so 1 rivet or 2 that were, (what's it called...diagonally opposed ? ) could fail and it would be "okay" (you could hike out). Each side of the bar is attached to that strap loop and then that's attached to itself (not the frame) with 2 rivets (on each side). I don't know if you'd notice walking on that bar all day.

IMG_3182.JPG

IMG_3188.JPG

This is a shot of my Crescent Moon's. The binding is attached to the strap in the front by a rivet on each side and to a flap of deck material with the back 2 rivets. The strap is attached to itself through the deck material, not to the frame. I feel like multiple rivets could fail and I'd still be able to walk out.

IMG_3190.JPG

So I don't know what the point is. The more redundency, to a point, the better, I guess.

I need some shoes with more float to compliment the Crescent Moons. If I was buying today I think I'd get the Atlas 11 or 12 Series.

Last edited: