Hiking close to home

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klutz

Reaction score
Okay here's my dielimma: I want to go hiking this coming weekend, but not really into doing a 4 thousand footer due to conditions right now. I'd like to stay close to home, Barrington, but find something interesting to walk/small short hike? Maybe some views. Done Blue Job and Mt Major. Any other suggestions?

Red Hill in Center Harbor? Cardigan?

Klutz -

I live in Plymouth, MA but the family camp is in Epsom, since early 70's. I've been hiking a few years and never known SE NH. Two weekend hikes in Pawtuckaway & I think of it as a gem. Print out the map, try No. Pawtuckaway, the Bears Den and the Glacial Erratics. I'll be surprised if you're disappointed! If you are good for a Saturday, I may be too!

Peter
Plymouth, MA

The Ossipees hike may indeed be what you're looking for (though, based upon the weather forecasts I've seen the last few days (still too early to decide), it may be Sunday instead of Saturday.

There are some great short hikes in Western Maine. Mt. Cutler and Burnt Meadow Mountain are both similar in length and challenge to that of Mt. Major (except nowhere near the crowds). Green Mountain (NH) is also another nice one.

I'd second the North Pawtuckaway suggestion which would be really close to you - right down to route 101 and over to exit 5 in Raymond, should be no more than a half-hour drive from Barrington. You can do a nice loop including the north peak, it's about 5 miles with only about 600' elevation gain. I'm thinking of taking the kids up to the south peak this weekend which is an even shorter hike (less than 1 mile round trip).

Okay here's my dielimma: I want to go hiking this coming weekend, but not really into doing a 4 thousand footer due to conditions right now. I'd like to stay close to home, Barrington, but find something interesting to walk/small short hike? Maybe some views. Done Blue Job and Mt Major. Any other suggestions?

Don't write-off the Belknaps just because you’ve done Major.
Straightback Mtn., great view, is easily reached from Jesus Valley Road or the Major parking lot.
Piper, great view, is easily reached from the Carriage Road.
Gunstock, great view, is easily reached from the Carriage Road or the ski area.
Belknap, great view, is easily reached from the Carriage Road or Bickford/Woods Road.
Whiteface, great view, is easily reached from Belknap Mountain Road.

Also in the Ossipees-easy hikes: Roberts, great view. Bald Knob, great view.

Pawtuckaway is nice. Bear Brook State Park also has some nice trails. Further north, but not too bad, Mts Morgan and Percival offer a 5 mile loop with good views over Squam Lake.

Pawtuckaway!

I'll add another recommendation to Pawtuckaway. The Devils Den on the shoulder of North Pawtuckaway is great, kids love it, don't forget the flashlights. We usually go in from Deerfield road which is a right turn off RT156 after the main park entrance. On Deerfield rd go about 3 miles to a height of land and a dirt road goes left (right across the road is a blue modular home with a nice view.)

As Roxi says, Squam Range traverse up in Holderness is nice also, we usually do Morgan-Percival and Squam, incredible views.

Straightback Mtn., great view, is easily reached from Jesus Valley Road or the Major parking lot.

I was on Straighback Mt on Saturday, lots of slash lumber laying around, somebody has logged the heck out of this area from Round Pond to Major. Trails were very well blazed though and we stayed on the trail fairly easily. It could be difficult after dark.

Lots of options here, thanks. Not sure what we'll end up doing. We also have a dog, so what ever we end up doing will be with Suzy(our doggie) too. She loves to come even though she's 13 yrs old.

Although it's a bit harder to get through since the Grant Road trailhead is closed, Mt. Klem is one of my favorite views in the entire range.

Belknaps

We live in Deerfield and hike the pawtuckaway's a lot, especially in the winter, but the Belknaps are close to you (45 Mins) and are real nice and have trails from easy to difficult. Get up high and you shouldn't see any hunters. Hunting is allowed in pawtuckaway and the Belknaps.

We live in Deerfield and hike the pawtuckaway's a lot, especially in the winter, but the Belknaps are close to you (45 Mins) and are real nice and have trails from easy to difficult. Get up high and you shouldn't see any hunters. Hunting is allowed in pawtuckaway and the Belknaps.

Humm...guess I wasn't thinking of what this weekend really is....just got done reading about Hunting seaon Willies:eek: On second thought maybe I'll have to find another way of getting some exercise in......maybe beach walking????:D Hunters aren't allowed there are they???:rolleyes:

maybe beach walking????:D Hunters aren't allowed there are they???:rolleyes:

Sharks don't care whether or not you're wearing orange :)

If you wear orange/bright red, stick to the trails, and perhaps wear a bell on your backpack, I doubt you'll have any problems in the Belknaps or Ossipees. Of course, I am not liable if I'm wrong.

Hi Klutz:
I'd skip taking the pup with you. Even though you probably have a blaze orange vest for her, I'd be nervous. I'm not going out this weekend. I think
it may rain. I thought about the Ossipee traverse but I'm afraid I won't keep up (recent knee surgery)
Sandy

Hi Klutz:
I'd skip taking the pup with you. Even though you probably have a blaze orange vest for her, I'd be nervous. I'm not going out this weekend. I think
it may rain. I thought about the Ossipee traverse but I'm afraid I won't keep up (recent knee surgery)
Sandy

Yes, this is true, that's why on second thought we'd opt for a beach walk instead, which now may be on Sunday instead. She's a collie/shepard mix and her back is totally black.