Grass Mt and Spruce Peak

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
Had a chance to get out on these 2 with almost no notice. Joanne was interested and no need to even ask Bookah. She(Bookah) hung out by the gear the evening before and hovered there from 6am.

Nice hike up from Shaftsbury Hollow Road. Due to washouts and DEEP mudwallows, the last 0.70 mile drive to the parking area near the red camp is only passable by high clearance 4WD vehicles.
We walked the jeep/ATV road to the col. The snow began from here and it was an easy whack thru open hardwoods to the summit of Grass Mt. The summit jar easily located. A first for Joanne. After a very quick lunch on top, retraced our steps. From the col we took a jeep road along Spruce Peak's western side and then headed up thru the snowy footing to the summit. Here's where I made my second mistake of the day. Error #1 was mistakenly grabbing my lightweight hiking boots in the morning. The ones that are porous and without Gore-Tex. A couple of dunkings on the stream crossings and walking up high in snow made for cold, damp, tootsies. Error #2 was forgetting to carry a spare jar and register. The jar on Spruce Pk had been vandalized and the register missing.
Joanne, Bookah and I again retraced our steps to the col for the easy walk back to the car.
Every time I'm in the Green Mts I'm reminded how the low three-thousand footers look like the Catskills without the pricker bushes. Bookah spent the day alternating between puddle bathing and snowwalking and had her usual good time being the scourge of chipmunks and mice. And Jo and I had a good time just being out. Joanne's first Vermont hike...I think it made a good impression, particularly the fern glade with great views just below the summit of Grass Mt. My pictures to eventually follow.

Peakbagr