Highest peaks in Maine includes Table Land??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And "Hunts Peak" too, named no doubt after the famous ketchup inventor.
http://www.mountainzone.com/mountains/highest-peaks.asp?s=ME
Can someone point me to a list that doesn't just make stuff up?
It all depends on what you set your level of prominence at. The Trailwrights list in the Whites has a fairly arbitrary prominence but in general it includes a lot of peaks (NW Hancock, SW Twin etc) that have 100' prominence. However it has a few peaks with nearly zero prominence (Franklin 25', Little Haystack 0') but leaves out others (Ball Crag - 31'). If you set a 0' prominence and stick with it you'll end up with every boulder above 4000' which is kind of useless. But if you define a "peak" as being >4000' and having >25' prominence you're going to include a lot more podunks on your list like that Maine one does.

-Dr. Wu

Well, as automated content-generation goes, this is better than most. At least this is perfectly accurate if you read it carefully:

"To hike and explore the Maine outdoors near Mount Redington, check the list of nearby trails."

edit: Oops, I take that back. They've listed the "table land" plateau on Katahdin as "Table Land Cliff". Doesn't seem to be any kind of prominence rule being applied, looks like they're scraping names from USGS GNIS, looking for objects with a GNIS classification of Summit or Cliff. There's an error in GNIS: Table Land is listed as type "cliff".

The whole thing exists solely to drive clicks (and search engines) to Trails.com; it's useless for humans.

Last edited: