backpacking around Mt. Moosilauke

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backpackerchik

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend some areas to camp to do one or two nights out in a loop around Mt. Moosilauke this weekend?
I have the maps and the Whites guide book, but other than the Beaver Brook Shelter, I'm not sure where I should pursue looking to camp. Any ideas for routes and camp areas would be greatly appreciated.

the beaver brook shelter is closed, and you may not camp where it used to be. Last weekend I spent at the wildwood campground, doing a moose loop for a day hike. The campground was $16 a night, and you are allowed 2 cars.

-percious

Aside from the Beaver Brook shelter (the new one, up high) there is no camping on Dartmouth land on the mountain. You can camp down on the Benton Trail, there's a spring about a third of the way down but there are other good water sources lower down. No camping on the Glencliff trail until you reach the Jeffers Brook shelter on the far side of the Sanitorium Road.

-dave-

Your information is correct about the old site, but we built a new one before taking the old shelter down.

-dave-

Beaver Brook Shelter

I did wind up staying at the Beaver Brook shelter on Monday night. The shelter is wonderful--clean, spacious! I had it to myself and enjoyed the views (although I assume some trees were cut down for those views?).
It started raining about 3 am and the sound of the rain on the tin roof was wonderful!

There is a portion (maintenance?) behind the "rivy" (Privy without the "pee") that is closed for contamination, but other than that, everything is open.

Thanks everyone for building and maintaining this shelter.

After the clouds burned off on Tuesday am, I managed to get some great views on Moosilauke. My first summit of it.
Wonderful!
-