A New List! - Side-to-Side Hiking on the Long Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Rooney

Reaction score
I saw this on the GMC website - Side-to-Side Hiking on the Long Trail . According to the website:

"At their September meeting, GMC’s Board of Directors approved the establishment of a side-to-side certification program for hikers completing all eighty-four side trails of the Long Trail System. The proposal was made by the ad-hoc committee of Steve Lightholder, Smith Edwards, and Duncan Wilkie. The committee has created a rocker bar patch and award certificate for those finishing the side trails listed in the Long Trail System Management Plan, totaling 164.2 miles."

I think that's neat. I've always thought some of the feeder trails to the LT were some of the most beautiful I've ever been on. Of course, living in VT for 55+ years may have made me a bit biased.

Thanks for the link, Gail and I are thinking of doing the Long Trail end to end this coming summer. :)

Last edited:
Wasn't this set up at least a year ago? I remember somebody asked a GMC person what qualified and they mentioned "the side trails to Springer and Katahdin are not required."

(Aha...found a Google cache of a press release with the same wording as your link, dated 11/30/2006.)

What is new is the official GMC award, various people have been talking it up for decades including the Old Ridgerunner in his column

He also promotes spending a night in every shelter, are you listening PI?