Essential Books?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Escape from Lucania

One book that ought to be on this list is Escape from Lucania by Dave Roberts. It's especially relevant to New Englanders because it chronicles the story of Brad Washburn's '37 ascent with Bob Bates of Mt. Lucania in the Canadian Rockies and their subsequent self evacuation from the mountain because their pilot could not return to take them off (nor could he return with the other two members of the expedition.)

Here is a review: "This short but sweet look at the ascent two Harvard buddies made of Mt. Lucania in the Yukon Valley in 1937-at the time, the highest unclimbed North American peak at 17,150 feet-is a welcome respite from the high-tech, thrill-a-minute climbing tales that have descended like an avalanche. With their friendship cemented in the elite ranks of the Harvard Mountaineering Club, the brash Brad Washburn and the more reserved Bob Bates decide to explore their "passion" for Lucania, but are immediately faced with hardship when their pilot, who lands them at an unexpectedly slushy base of the mountain, is unable to return to pick them up. Roberts's narrative shows how the resourceful duo decided to climb the mountain and then head more than 100 miles on foot to the nearest town, dressed in clothing that "essentially consisted of layers of wool and cotton." In this day of high-tech expedition gear, it's good to know that Washburn's headgear was a Royal Canadian Mounted Police hat. Roberts (True Summit), a longtime chronicler of adventure and exploration, deftly details a time when "the American public remained almost completely ignorant of mountaineering." Roberts's book reveals the true story behind one of the earliest and most remarkable expeditions of the 20th century."

I noticed a used copy on sale from Amazon for low as 0.01 (plus shipping)

This an often overlooked book that really deserves more attention than it gets.

And as long as I'm making a plug for the undersung; an even more obscure, but definitely deserving, adventure "classic" is Four Against Everest which is the account of Woodrow Wilson Sayre's unsanctioned '62 Everest expedition. He had the record for highest point reached by a North American until the American Everest Expedition reached the summit the following year. Not bad for an unsupported, ad hoc, permitless, 4-man expedition. It's another relevant book for us in New England since Sayre was a Tufts professor and did much of his climbing on our local mountains.

Last edited:
The Electric Koolade Acid Test by Tom Wolfe outlines some seriously adventurous trips

"The Real Frank Zappa Book" by Frank Zappa & Peter Occhiogrosso.

And I concur that "Escape from Lucania" is a tremendous read.

I really enjoyed Charles Houston and Robert Bates' two books about the first two failed American expeditions to K2 in 1938 and 1953. "Five Miles High" and "K2 The Savage Mountain". They go into quite a bit of detail on the amazing amount of preparation it takes to launch a large expedition, and they take turns telling a very stirring true tale.

Of the adventure books that I've read, the most amazing to me is "Death Valley in '49: The Autobiography of a Pioneer" by William L Manly. This is the story of a young Vermont man who made his way westward and gained survival skills as a trapper. Eventually he travels to California during the 1849 gold rush along with several families who enter the desert and underestimate its extent. The author includes lots of detail about the people and places along the way. This story would appeal to history buffs.

A second book not mentioned already is "Alaska Wilderness: Exploring the Central Brooks Range" by Robert Marshall (of Adirondack fame). This is his story of several reconnaissance trips in Alaska. I think this book would appeal to those who liked “Escape from Lucania”.

Non hiking related and not a land lovers book:

In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathanial Philbrick

This true story inspired Moby Dick.
Quite an a amazing tale.

Non hiking related and not a land lovers book:

In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathanial Philbrick

This true story inspired Moby Dick.
Quite an a amazing tale.

I agree a great story. What the story "Alive" was to people in the 1970s the accounts of the Essex were to those of the 1820s. Here's a Wikipedia reference to the story of the Essex.

Some of my favorites are:

"At the Mercy of the Mountains" by Peter Bronski
"Touch the Top of the World" by Erik Weihenmayer (though I wish it included his expedition up Everest).
"Into the Wild" by Jon Krakauer
"Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer
"K2—The Savage Mountain" by Charles Houston
and the classic "To Build a Fire" by Jack London

I also loved Lansing's Endurance and Millard's River of Doubt.

One of my all time favorites: Gary Paulson's Winterdance about his dream, training and racing in the Iditarod. I never laughed so hard over any adventure book, yet it's poignant, funny and inspiring. I've read it three times but be careful if you're reading it in public. You cannot control yourself.

Other good ones not mentioned: Jennifer Jordan's Savage Summit, Art Davidson's Minus 148 (first winter attempt of Denali), Rowing to Latitude by Jill Fredston, RD Lawrence's North Runner; and Running North by Ann Cook is about her NH husband George Cook's 1992 racing in the Yukon Quest- (worse than the Iditarod?!)

In re reading some of the earlier post I see numerous mentions of South, and Endurance both of which tell the story of Shackelton’s experience trapped on the ice. Both are great books about an amazing feat. I always thought that his actions on this expedition would serve as a good example for a book on leadership even for today.

When he returned home after after his pervious attempt to reach the South Pole, having reach the “furthest south” 90 miles short of the pole, his wife asked how he had the strength to turn back so close to his goal. He replied “I thought you would rather have a live donkey then a dead lion”

In a similar vain but profiling a “dead lion” Roland Huntford’s “Scott and Amundsen” is again in print under the title “The Last Place on Earth” (this apparently to match the title of the movie which was made back in the 80’s). Huintford has somewhat of an axe to grind against Scott who does not come off particularly well. 600 pages that fly by, a great book to read on a winter evening book.

Having read all three of these books the contrast between these two leaders is striking. Scoot and Shackelton hated each other. Scott was obsessed with beating Shackleton’s times to the pole. In a way Scott was not racing just Amundsen to the pole, but the ghost of Shackleton as well. Given the choice of serving under either of these men Shackleton , wins hands down. To bring all of his men home alive speaks to the strength of courage he demonstrated when he turned back only 90 miles from the South Pole.

Reactions: arm
Forest and Crag anyone? Perhaps it won't put you on the edge of your seat or leave you breathless, but many a tale of adventure and exploration are retold throughout. And, it is the essential book for Northeast hikers.

The very best books you can read are Backwoods Ethics and Wilderness Ethics, by Guy and Laura Waterman. This is a certainty for anyone who truly appreciates the backcountry. You can't read one without reading the other. It will open your eyes to things you've never thought about. It changed my life.

The very best books you can read are Backwoods Ethics and Wilderness Ethics, by Guy and Laura Waterman. This is a certainty for anyone who truly appreciates the backcountry. You can't read one without reading the other. It will open your eyes to things you've never thought about. It changed my life.

Indeed. I think that Wilderness Ethics is particularly relevant to the members of this community.

I haven't seen mention of my two all-time favorite travel books:

"A Walk Across America" and "The Walk West" by Peter Jenkins. Absolute classics.

Many other good books mentioned here. Anything by Bryson is good for a few laughs. I used to read a lot more mountaineering books than I do now. Kind of lost interest in all the chest-thumping. Most can be summed up in "I'm so awesome, got into trouble but survived because I'm so awesome. The End."

Excellent thread.

Ed Viesturs story of climbing the 14-8k meter mtns, "No Shortcuts to the Top", by Viesturs and Dave Roberts.

"High Crimes", sorry I forgot the author, but it delves into the dark side of high altitude mountaineering, the corruption, unscrupulous guides, thievery amongst teams, tampering with equipment etc etc. A real eye opener.

Here are two more:
Fatal Forcast (great survival at sea account) by Michael J. Tougias

The Last Place on Earth (Scott and Amundsen's race to the South Pole) by Roland Huntford

Ed Viesturs story of climbing the 14-8k meter mtns, "No Shortcuts to the Top", by Viesturs and Dave Roberts.

"High Crimes", sorry I forgot the author, but it delves into the dark side of high altitude mountaineering, the corruption, unscrupulous guides, thievery amongst teams, tampering with equipment etc etc. A real eye opener.

I just finished "High Crimes" and it is a great read. The thievery, backstabbing and egomania among Everest guides and teams was certainly eyeopening. I will recommend this book to those who think lawyers have a monopoly on those traits!

The author, Michael Kodas, writes primarily for the Hartford Courant.

Boukreev

Anatoli Boukreev "The Climb"
Another one of the many post Everest 96 gang, but this I think was the best. Had he lived, probably been right up ther as one of the best in the world, strongest for sure

Also take a look at his "Above the Clouds"