Mansfield camping

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markv

Reaction score
If one were to hike a short ways up on either the Sunset Ridge or Maple Ridge trails, is there any legal and suitable backcountry camping to be found? Also, just how difficult IS Maple Ridge?

We'll have just driven in that afternoon, and i was hoping to camp someplace on the mountain, but do most of the real hike/climb the next day...am open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Nothing legal going up Sunset ridge. Camping is available at the state park at the base of the trail although you will share it with familys, summer campers and Canadians. Be aware that there is a fee to park at the trailhead to Sunset Ridge because the trail starts at the State Campground. An alternative is to go up to Baxter lodge and stay there or hike to the tent platforms along the Long trail between Taylor at the top of Nebraska Notch and Baxter. Taylor (do I have the name right?) is an easy hike from it's trailhead but it gives you a long day going up Mansfield. Something like 6 to 8 miles to the top. A nice hike though some good ridgeline hiking

sharing with....

Oh no , not canadians!!!! beurk..they should stay home right!

The only difference between camping next to a Canadian group of late night beer and wine drinkers having a talkfest and a similar american group is that the french language lends a subtley higher class to what is probably a lot of plain old B.S. and gossip. :)

Canadiens Schamadiens

I don't care if i'm camped next to cannibals from Papau New Guinea, as long as it's someplace flat and legal a shortways up Maple Ridge or Sunset!

I'm not finding any info from the guidebook or the internet. I need to call, but it's hard to even figure out whom to call...DPR? State Forest?

Better yet, someone from VT here just gimme the scoop!

Call Underhill State Park

Markv,

My fiance and I are doing Mt. Washington and Mt. Mansfield over the weekend in an effort to finish off our NE State highpoints.

If going up sunset, laura cowles, or halfway house, your best (read as only) bet is Underhill State Park. The website and phone number are below. You can make reservations online or call for more info.

When I called to make our reservation (last week) there were still several camping sites and a couple of lean to's left.

The hike from Baxter Lodge is a nice but significantly longer (slightly more that double the distance) than using Sunset Ridge. Plus, I prefer the views from SRT.

Good luck, hope this helps. Maybe we will see you on Mansfield and maybe the Candians can save us some of that wine :)

http://vtparks.anr.state.vt.us/htm/underhill.cfm
Park Phone: 802-899-3022

Call the Green Mountain Club at 802-244-7037. They are located in Waterbury, Vt just the other side of the Mountain from the trail heads we have been discussing, 4 miles off the interstate on the way to Stowe, left hand side of the road just past the Cold Hollow Cider Mill.

I would have to say that Sunset Ridge is my favorite way to get up to the summit too. Although I do not like the CCC road part at the beginning. Make sure you take the side trail to Cantilever rock, it is really cool and only three minutes off the trail. It is really almost too easy to get to the top that by Sunset ridge. If you are set for a day of hiking you won't use up much of it doing that climb.

The only alternatives to camping at underhill state park are the shelters on mansfield, Butler and Taft both with a fee. Taylor lodge is a nice spot too but a longer to the top. There is a tenting site about halfway between Butler and Taylor with several large platforms. I think camping is allowed on state land below 2500 feet. And of course there is always stealth camping. I use a hammock.

Finally take the trouble to find a copy of the MapAdventures trail map for the Mansfield Camels Hump region. It is one of the best trail maps I have seen for any region and mileages are neatly printed next to each trail section.
http://www.greenmountainclub.org/ltb.htm#camping

Last edited:
Smugglers Notch State Park

I am planning to do hike Mount Manfield (and maybe Camels Hump) in mid-July and stay at a campground.

Which is the better option?

Smugglers Notch or Underhil State Park

I am not real clear on Smugglers notch state park and wether there is a campground. I know there used to be a few leanto's next to the Stowe ski resorts parking lot. They might still be there but if they are I would say it is a little too public and busy. Maybe ther are other options on the Jeffersonville side of the notch. I would recommend Huntington from what i know .

By all means visit the notch and alow a little time to get out and explore the boulders too. Stowe has some lovely restaurents and the Shed brewpub. If its hot enough you might want to check out the water park at Smugglers ski resort.