Gore Mt alternative

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Rickie

Reaction score
I had hoped to take a few Scouts (4-6 Scouts, 2-3 adults) up Gore Mt to the lean-to via the Schaefer Trail for a weekend campout this winter but having just gotten a e-mail from the Forest Ranger I find the lean-to burned down and the trail is closed until next year when it will get rerouted. :(

I'm looking for a winter campout location that wouldn't be too challanging that will involve two night's of tent camping, or snow structures, with a modest summit climb, not more than 2 miles or so off road. I don't really want to make this a High Peaks winter camping trip until the Scouts get more experience.

The Ranger sugested Peaked Mtn. If some one is familiar with Peaked please feel free to post. If anyone has an alternative sugestion I'd love to see it.

We would be driving from Rochester on a Friday after school so I don't want to go real far north since I would expect us to arrive on Friday late, camp close to the road/trailhead, then break camp Saturday AM to hike in/up someplace where we will the camp, peak, eat, sleep, and hike out Sunday AM.

Thanks in advance. :)

I had hoped to take a few Scouts (4-6 Scouts, 2-3 adults) up Gore Mt to the lean-to via the Schaefer Trail for a weekend campout this winter but having just gotten a e-mail from the Forest Ranger I find the lean-to burned down and the trail is closed until next year when it will get rerouted. :(

I'm looking for a winter campout location that wouldn't be too challanging that will involve two night's of tent camping, or snow structures, with a modest summit climb, not more than 2 miles or so off road. I don't really want to make this a High Peaks winter camping trip until the Scouts get more experience.

The Ranger sugested Peaked Mtn. If some one is familiar with Peaked please feel free to post. If anyone has an alternative sugestion I'd love to see it.

We would be driving from Rochester on a Friday after school so I don't want to go real far north since I would expect us to arrive on Friday late, camp close to the road/trailhead, then break camp Saturday AM to hike in/up someplace where we will the camp, peak, eat, sleep, and hike out Sunday AM.

Thanks in advance. :)

Rickie,

So many possibilities! Peaked Mt. may not be a bad suggestion. It's in the Siamese Ponds area. I have been there several times, but not in winter. Here is a link to someone's TR.

I don't know if this is too far of a drive for you, but you might try the Black Mountain Ponds area (east side of Lake George). Hiking to one of the ponds from Pike Brook Rd. (outside of Whitehall) is short and easy. Camp at Lapland, Round, or Black Mt. Pond (1st and 3rd have lean-tos). Black Mt. is a nice short climb. I have hiked through this area numerous times, and have done the sort of trip you're looking for in winter with scouts. Lots of hiking possibilities in that area.

Thanks Dick

That link will be perfect for when I present the trip to the adults and Scouts. :)

I'm still open to options though?

I actually think the Black Mountain Ponds area I mentioned would be a better choice, if not too far. But either would work for your situation.

Other possibilities: Pharaoh Mt. Wilderness. Lots of lakes and places to camp in the area, and Treadway or Pharaoh Mt. are climbing possibilities.

Good Luck Lake, with option of climbing Good Luck Cliffs.

I have done both of these with scouts in winter as well.

I might suggest trying TLake leanto. The trail starts from besides Piseco L. right across from the state campground. It is all uphill to start but the leanto is great and little used in the winter. The trail to TLake Falls is officially closed and I wouldn't go there with a group of Boy Scouts since there is a danger of slipping and falling on the steep terrain around the falls. Anyways, there are a number of "peaks" with an elevation of ~3000' if you don't mind a little bushwacking.