Lost 4 legged family member

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobandgeri

Reaction score
We hiked Peak Above the Nubble today with a group. There was a 4 year old yellow lab with us who when we crossed the clearing apparantly took of following the scent of a deer or moose. Although wesaw her tracks a few times we did not find her.

Tomorrow (Sunday) we will be joining a few others to go search for the dog from Haystack Road. If anybody is free and can join in please PM or email us for time that we are meeting. We will have access to email up until 7 AM.

I'm not available tomorrow but I can offer some useful tips from past experiences.

If the dog's owner goes searching on the trail, that person should try to move relatively slowly and stop frequently to call and wait for several minutes. If the dog is downwind, it will take some time for the dog to reach the source of the owner's scent. If you're moving too fast, you're harder to catch up with. Be aware of the wind direction at all times and try to position the owner(s) for maximum effect in broadcasting the scent.

If your field searching comes to naught and you must leave the trail, hang clothing from the dog's owner at the trailhead. If possible, station someone there around the clock. If not possible, put food in a bowl at the clothing and check back as often as possible.

Be sure to post flyers with a photo (if possible) and a reward offer at the trailhead. Make sure you include info on the dog's name and how to contact the owner 24/7.

Bob&Geri, if I can be of assistance, I can put off my planned hike for tomorrow and come up to help. Per sardog's suggestion of leaving someone at the trailhead with owners clothing round the clock, I'd have no problem doing this, if it comes down to it, as I have no commitments til Thursday. I will email you with my cell phone number.

Just talked with Bob on the phone. The dog was just spotted sleeping near the trailhead but was too scared to approach. The owners are currently enroute to the location to get the dog. Hopefully all will be reunited in about 20 minutes. ;)

That'd be great news. Items like this should be posted in "Trips" also, so anyone available to help will see. Dogs are smart, probably followed the scents straight back after it's run.

Great news!

Please post when they are reunited. As dog owners I can say this would truly be our worst nightmare. Mine especially, I'd have to sedate my wife to keep her from staying out there until the dog was found. I didn't even tell her about this because she'd be flippin' out.

I really hope this works out alright. Good thoughts and vibes still coming from here!

KDT

Happy Ending!!!

We drove up to the trailhead after dinner and the dog was sitting on a blanket that was left. Unfortuantly she was scared and wouldn't come near us, so we backed off, left some food, reached the owners, and drove to the end of Haystack road to wait for them to arrive. 25 minutes later they were united.

We certainly want to pass along thanks to the everybody who offered there support and offers to assist.

Fantastic!

This is such wonderful news! I prayed on the ride home from the hike that this would turn out OK and my wife did the same after I called her.

Bob and Geri, thanks for posting this and keeping everyone informed.

Marty

i 'm so happy for the dog! and the "owners"

let me tell you as anyone knows who loves their critter companions it's devastating when one gets lost. i don't have a dog, but cats and my indoor only cat got out because i was careless and left a door ajar. i searched for him every day for a month and a half. i did finally capture him but just worrying about him every day esp with the cold weather approaching. this dog could easily have kept going but thank goodness it went to the trailhead? how the heck they know to do these things huh? with this frigid weather.... oh i am just so glad it's a happy ending. now can anyone tell me , who hiked today, do i need snowshoes or just stabilizers / crampons tomorrow? for hikes like algonquin, wright those altitudes.
thnx
ps: if you want to respond and this isn't really the place you can pm me.

That is great news! I felt terrible for owners and dog when we left and I am thrilled everybody was reunited without a night apart.

Last edited:
Great news! I've had that happen, and it's not a pretty time. So glad to hear order has been restored.

What a relief! I am at my computer crying tears of joy at the reunion.
Very scary experience but a wonderful ending:)