Isolation Attempt #3, 11-23-08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Tuesday

Reaction score
Executive Summary:
• Isolation via Rocky Branch, etc.
• Nif, Adventurous and Fat Tuesday
• And pink cans of Sofia Coppola bubbly
• 8 hours
• Sunny, single digits and WINDY

Details:

Nif, Adventurous and I met up at the Rocky Branch trailhead at 7:00. Original plan had been to at least go in via Glen Boulder, but the -50 wind chill forecast squelched that real fast.

Nif and Kim (literally) peeled in and promptly realized that Kim’s microspikes had forgotten themselves at Jen’s friend’s house in Jackson, so they went to retrieve them. This gave me time to review a PM that BobC had kindly sent me with beta from his trip on Saturday.

Jen, Kim and microspikes returned and we hit the trail at 7:40 a.m. Traces of snow for the first mile, icy patches set in soon after. We reached the forest boundary at 9:00, I think. Wind was howling through the sparse hardwoods and I wore five layers and down mittens. Beyond the boundary we encountered hockey rink-like sheets of ice interspersed with muddy sinkholes under thin ice layers.

We reached the first river crossing at 9:30 and…. Completely frozen over! Contrary to BobC’s experience on Sat, we cruised right over a strong snow/ice/log bridge. Second crossing was cake too, just had to seek out the thickest ice. A half mile later we followed what we thought was the trail across the rocky branch again, and then realized that we had added our own optional river crossing. We quickly crossed back and found the trail again.

Jen--who, though recovering from surgery was still lightning fast—shot ahead and found the bushwhack around river crossing #3, which looks like it would’ve been tough. Crossing #4 was simple and we were up and away towards the Davis Path. Tons of ice covered mud still. I may have been wearing 7 layers at this point.

As we climbed towards the campsites snow cover increased to something like six inches. It was really beautiful. Still super windy though. We made it to the summit spur at about 11:40 and suited up for the conditions. Face masks, goggles and microspikes.

Wind was howling at around 40 mph and as we left tree cover I fixed my eyes on the summit cairn and essentially dove for it. I was all set to run back to treeline when Kim shouted above the wind “I think it’s over _there_!”

Blast! A few steps further. We stumbled up to the true summit cairn, tagged it, and snapped a couple photos. The presis were in view, with sun, blowing snow and passing clouds romanticizing the scene, but we could not stop to admire. It was brutally windy and I could barely stay upright.
We descended quickly, regrouped below the spur and headed back, stopping to eat lunch after the 2nd rocky branch crossing.

Back in the parking lot we drank our champagne-in-a-can and then headed to Moat Mountain for provisions.

What a day! Jen and Kim were amazing companions and oh yeah- it was my 48th! Five years and three months and I’m done with that flippin list! Cold and windy, but we all agreed that the trails were so much faster because of the ice cover. I’d really wanted to do Glen Boulder but it actually felt quite cathartic to conquer the trail that conquered me twice within the last month. Even my friend the grouse shrunk back in fear this time.

Huzzah, Isolation is finally underfoot. (Though I do still need it in calendar winter....)

**A few photos to come. Our cameras were frozen for most of the trip and when they weren’t, it was too cold stop, pull out cameras and pose.

Congratulations!

Congratulations on your 48th! Like Bobby said that was doing it the hard way. That makes it even sweeter though. Funny how that works! Sounds like you guys were well prepared for hazards likely to be encountered on such a long tramp in winter conditions. Wind chills must have been intense even for such a short time above the trees.

Nice report! Glad you made it. It didn't feel like November out there this weekend, did it? It felt more like early January to me!!

Congrats on your finish.:cool: Bubbly in a can, huh? I guess thats no different than beer with a cork!:rolleyes:;)

A grand finale...CONGRATULATIONS!:)

Welcome to the "People who finished their 4000'ers on Isolation" Club! Excellent adventure with more to come, for sure.

Brrrrrrr...I think you get extra merit points on your patch or something for that type of finish! Congratulations.

Congratulations again and awesome trip report!!! I couldn't have written it better myself. While I had no intentions of heading back to Isolation after hiking it in September - yesterday was totally worth it. I had a blast hiking it with you and Jen.

While the wind and the cold made the hike a challenge - the frozen river crossings and trail made the hike much easier than it was in September. Too bad it was too miserable to enjoy the awesome views from the summit but considering we could barely stand...a glimpse of the Presi's had to do. Thanks again for the PB&J and of course the champaigne (mine was actually a slushy by the time I drank it)!!!

BTW - you forgot to mention that Jen had to keep feeding us those fruit things to keep us moving. Guess it was pretty obvious when our fuel levels were running low :D

Reactions: Nif
Nif and Kim (literally) peeled in and promptly realized that Kim’s microspikes had forgotten themselves at Jen’s friend’s house in Jackson, so they went to retrieve them. This gave me time to review a PM that BobC had kindly sent me with beta from his trip on Saturday.

Jen, Kim and microspikes returned and we hit the trail at 7:40 a.m.

Kim and I were just a little behind initially, so we were scurrying down. We had started out, but had to go back to retrieve Kim's poles which had forgotten themselves....That only left Kim's breakfast and my camera in Jackson which had wanted to make the trip but didn't want to leave the comfort of the woodstove. :rolleyes:

Congratulations again. Glad I could be there to help and toss back the occasional fruit treat to keep you going. It was a cold day, but kept the bubbly chilled to perfection (at least mine...) :D

Congratulations!!! I'm so glad the conditions weren't worse, and that you not only got #48, but now have a great finishing story too!
:)

Nice One!

Nice One! Congratulations!

Almost seems like this should count as a “Winter 48”! BUT, then there’s that nit-picking little thing about the calendar. ;):)

I loved the “Executive Summary” at the top of your TR!! Look forward to seeing many more reports of your adventures!

Congratulations Mardi! It must feel extra sweet and a huge accomplishment to not only finish the list, but to do it on a peak that had turned you back twice before...and to do it in some tough weather conditions. Glad (and jealous) that you got some views Sunday...all I saw on Saturday was the inside of some clouds. ;)

Great job!!

Glad you had fun companions to join you on your finish! Nice way to end the list!

That damn woodstove does tend to try and hold people & items back from going out in the cold & wet weather....:cool:

Wish I could of joined you, hopefully we can hike together soon!!

Congrats!!!:D