Stabilicers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought a new pair of stabilicers on Friday and used them in the White Mountains on Sunday. I've never owned stabilcers or any of the other lighter traction aids before. I've also either relied on my snowshoes or my crampons. But conditions this weekend weren't practical for either of those, which is why I thought it was time to try the stabilicers. The stabilicer model that I bought were the standard ones with the velco straps, not the light or sport models.

Although they worked well, when I got down and took them off, I noticed that a number of the cleats were missing. I know that they sell replacement cleats, but is it normal to have to replace them after only one hike? Yesterday's mix of snow, ice, and rocks were probably tough on them, but I didn't expect cleats to be completely missing, just worn.

It's not normal at all. I've heard of people losing a screw or two after a few hikes. When I was still using my Stabilicers before I bought some Microspikes (probably used the Stabilicers about 10 times), I never lost a single screw.

Write to the company or email them. The recent version of the stabilicers has had some production issues with losing the screws. On one hike I lost all but 2- they sent new free replacement screws and on the one hike I used them on since they were fine.

But reach out to them- its a known issue. Of course it could be somthing else but that was my experience.

I'm with BobC - never lost a single one. But I did, the first time I used them, tighten all the screws up, and still periodically will do so after a hike.

It's not normal at all. I've heard of people losing a screw or two after a few hikes. When I was still using my Stabilicers before I bought some Microspikes (probably used the Stabilicers about 10 times), I never lost a single screw.

I have also switched to Microspikes (lighter, easier to put on, stay on better). But I never lost a screw. I've heard some people recommend using glue to keep them in (?).

Perhaps the conditions (not enough snow/ice) did not warrant their use?

. I've heard some people recommend using glue to keep them in (?).

Perhaps the conditions (not enough snow/ice) did not warrant their use?

When coming down Whiteface a few weeks ago, the ice on the trail ended, and it became slippery and muddy. I kept mine on for a while longer, and even though one would have thought the conditions didn't warrant it, the screws stayed in. Made rock hopping a little easier, actually.

I'd say one of two things likely happened - one, the screws were loose to start and came out too easily, or two, depending on how they were stored, the rubber may have dry-rotted a bit.

Like Rhihn, I have used Stabilicers and have never lost a screw. I've never done any maintenance to them. I think they might be getting a little dull, though. When I used them yesterday on South Moat, I didn't feel quite as comfortable as I have in the past. I also noticed that they slipped back on my boots further than they have before. Last time I was out I tried some Kahtoola Microspikes and liked them much more than the Stabilicers. Brian chose to wear his crampons on the iciest section and got a few strange looks from folks on their way up who, I think, thought of them as over-kill. But at least he wasn't going off trail the way those without traction were forced to.

Write to the company or email them. The recent version of the stabilicers has had some production issues with losing the screws. On one hike I lost all but 2- they sent new free replacement screws and on the one hike I used them on since they were fine.
That's strange, I heard that this issue was solved last year, but maybe Paul just happened to pick up an 'old' pair.

Definitely complain. Mine have never lost a screw either.

I guess thats my point about contacting the company. Not sure where they were purchased or if the item has been in inventory but if the performance of the item is as different as everybody else's I'd go right to them. But thats my two cents worth.

Since Tuco says and Tom Rankin confirmed, this appears to be a known issue and others have not had problems this bad. I'll just take them back to REI where I bought them and let them deal with 42 North. Perhaps they have been sitting around at REI for some time and they can just order some newer ones.

Conditions were icy enough under a layer of snow that I did need them on Sugarloaf. They all seemed tight enough after I bought them but I didn't try to tighten them.

It seems to me that stabilicers would be the most useful at this time of year, before the snow and ice gets so thick that crampons would be a better choice. I had the impression that they were strong enough that buried rocks ledges with a thin coating of ice wouldn't destroy them.

As I said, they did work, even though several cleats came out. And, for the most part, I could walk normally in them, although I found that I had to be particularly careful on slick roots because the middle of the stabilicers has no real traction.

Never having tried Microspikes or Yaktrax, I can't have a valid opinion, but Microspikes look they might have issues with the spikes twisting around or a stability issue with a rock/ice mixture. Yaktrax don't look like they'd grip well enough on ice. But as I said, I've never used either and could be wrong.

Hi Paul, I had posted a message last year when the issue came up. 32North is very good to deal with.
I would give them a call at 207-284-5010 or toll free 1-800-782-2423 and ask for Dan. Last time they shipped replacement screws at no charge for folks that got bad screws

Last edited:
Never having tried Microspikes or Yaktrax, I can't have a valid opinion, but Microspikes look they might have issues with the spikes twisting around or a stability issue with a rock/ice mixture. Yaktrax don't look like they'd grip well enough on ice. But as I said, I've never used either and could be wrong.
You won't find too many people on this board who will promote Yaktrax...

I've owned two pairs of Stablicers (sport version) - one pair received heavy usage. I've never lost a single screw.

I also have no intention of ever using them again after having discovered Microspikes.

The Microspikes seem very solid under foot. Because the spikes are shorter than mountaineering crampons, the wobble effect is not there. I noticed no slippage at all when I was wearing them. They take up less room than Stabilicers and are lighter and are more efficient. My Stabilicers will "retire" take up a new home on my closet shelf, I think. My Microspikes rock!

Last edited:
plenty of folks here have a few screws loose ... not sure if they own stabilicers though

The big issue I had with Yaktracks was that they tend of peal off my feet when heading uphill. So, the only place I'd ever use them would be level, like walking around the block on an icy day.
I'm considering picking up Microspikes, as an alternative to my crampons.
DaveG.

32North produces bags of ~50 replacement screws for Stabilicers. Available at EMS for ~$5. There are two types of screws (1 for the Sport model, 1 for the regular model)--make sure you get the proper type.

I used Shoe Goo to glue my screws in. Haven't lost any screws, but I haven't given the Stabilicers very heavy use.

There have been a number of previous threads on this topic. Search and ye shall find.
Synopsis:
* Yaktrax don't give that much traction and don't hold up.
* Stabilicers work pretty well, but are a bit heavy and can lose screws
* Microspikes work well and are lighter.

Doug

Last edited:
As far as stability on mixed ice and rocks, I know what you mean in thinking that the Stabilicers might feel more steady than the Microspikes. It's true that if you're walking on any hard, rocky surface for more than a few steps, there is a slight "wobbly" feel to the Microspikes that feels a little worse than with Stabilicers. But I find that once I put the Microspikes on, I just change my walking style. Where I'd favor stepping on dry rocks while barebooting, I'll start to favor stepping on icy rocks or just icy trail sections once the traction is on. The occasional forced step onto a dry rock or two hasn't been a problem.

On my Saturday hike there was one person wearing Stabilicers. Since I was hiking directly behind her for a while, I noticed the old problem that is the main reason I decided to ditch them: they kept slipping off her boots. First it was just the heel part that started sliding over, then at one point one of them just flipped right off her boot and was only hanging on by the front straps. It's tough to adjust those velcro straps tightly enough to keep the Stabilicers on for a whole hike. I think she'll be buying Microspikes soon. ;)