Stabilicers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to say whether they last. I bought them last year and have used them about 5-6 times. So far, no problems. They're not that sharp to begin with so I'm not sure if sharpening them would be required. As an example, where you might be able to cut yourself with a true crampon spike, I doubt that you could do so with a Microspikes spike. I think the spikes on Microspikes are about 3/8 of an inch - also a lot shorter than real crampons. I'm a bit concerned with long-time use because the chains between the spikes seem like they might snap at some point. But like I said above, so far so good.

Triple hobs, tricounis and clinkers

Then there is the home-grown alternative to all that store-bought dreck that wobbles, breaks, and falls off jus' when you don't want it to.

Joining the First Church of Screwbootery

It's not for everyone. Just the devoted. ;)

Then there is the home-grown alternative to all that store-bought dreck that wobbles, breaks, and falls off jus' when you don't want it to.

Joining the First Church of Screwbootery

It's not for everyone. Just the devoted. ;)
You need to put up the picture of the Nascar style pit stop you guys did on MEB in the parking lot that day last winter with the screw guns.:cool:

Taking screw guns to my $300 Asolos.. hmm, we'll.. I've done worse things I suppose. :D

Last year was a bad year to get an evaluation of our yaktrax. We had SOOO much snow that we used the snowshoes....even got to add the extensions.
The Yaktrax worked real good on hard packed snow. I have been meaning to give em a running try on an iced over pond. Maybe this year.
I doubt we'll invest in anything expensive for the kind of hiking we do in the Winter

Microspikes

I have found the Microspikes to be very useful on terrain that is not too steep.

The chains are like tire chains for the feet! The chains and the triangle shaped spikes are made of a very durable stainless steel. Mine have not appeared to be getting dull at all, and I have worn them on rocky/mixed terrain. Stainless steel will not dull easily, but it will also not take to sharpening too easily either.

They excel at "ease of use", are lighter, and grip better then the stabilicers. But, I would never use Microspikes where crampons are called for. For example, I would wear crampons, not the Microspikes descending one of the Hancocks.

I did use stablicers for a year or 2 and I have been accused of having a few loose screws...for hiking in winter weather..ah..the misinformed...

however..only lost a screw or 2..usually on a pivot point ,on the stabliceers

gave mine to a friend however after trying the microspikes...there is no looking back....