Microspike failure

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onestep

Reaction score
This last weekend while 'whackin from Tabletop over to East Tabletop one of my Microspikes failed. One of the rear stainless steel flex-chains pulled through the "tough" elastomer shoe harness. Eventually the other end of the chain separated from the spike and fell off. This did not result in total failure as I was still able to wear them for the rest of the day and they continued to provide excellent traction.

I purchased them online last November from Zappo's.

Has anyone else experienced a Microspike failure? I REALLY like them as they provide excellent mixed condition traction.

Does anyone have any experience dealing with either Zappo's or Kahtoola with an issue like this?
:confused::confused:

Last edited:
I have not had a part failure, per se, but once one of microspikes started to ball up with ice and snow and came off my boot.

Hopefully, Kahtoola will replace them for you.

The few folks who've reported problems found that Kahtoola promply sent them a new pair and returned the repaired damaged one.
Give them a call and I'm guessing you'll be satisfied.

Zappos.com has one of the simplest return procedures I've seen. But since it was probably over a year ago I'd go with the manufacturer, not with just the Micros but all items.

I know Snickers has had one and Edelweiss had a failure coming off of Spruce mtn on sunday.

I haven't had one yet, but then again, I don't own a pair... :p

Jay

resolved

I called Zappo's this morning and even though my purchase is outside of their 365 day return window, and they do not handle manufactures warranty claims, they will send me out a new pair free!! All they asked was to return my pair using their supplied prepaid postage label!

Nice folks, no-hassle, great customer service!

I called Zappo's this morning and even though my purchase is outside of their 365 day return window, and they do not handle manufactures warranty claims, they will send me out a new pair free!! All they asked was to return my pair using their supplied prepaid postage label!

I worked for a very large internet retail company for a number of years and have watched and heard for a long time about how great they are and have made a dozen or more purchases myself, they are one of the most well run companies out there.:cool:

Unlike some major car companies who spend $20,000 to send someone to beg for money from the government while he relaxes in a 36 million dollar private company jet on the way there.:mad:

The few folks who've reported problems found that Kahtoola promply sent them a new pair and returned the repaired damaged one.
Give them a call and I'm guessing you'll be satisfied.

onestep said:
resolved

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hold the phone there. onestep: that way you end up with one new pair from zappos. Based on Peakbagr's response you'd end up with 2 pair from katoohla, the new and the old repaired.

Zappos is great, though.

Ooh, Guess I better start carrying a spare.

Even though the chain ripped through the elastomer and eventually separated from the cleat, they still performed adequately. I wore them the following day also!
I could have made an emergency repair using a zip-tie but it wasn't necessary in this case.

This last weekend while 'whackin from Tabletop over to East Tabletop one of my Microspikes failed. One of the rear stainless steel flex-chains pulled through the "tough" elastomer shoe harness. Eventually the other end of the chain separated from the spike and fell off. This did not result in total failure as I was still able to wear them for the rest of the day and they continued to provide excellent traction.

I purchased them online last November from Zappo's.

Has anyone else experienced a Microspike failure? I REALLY like them as they provide excellent mixed condition traction.

Does anyone have any experience dealing with either Zappo's or Kahtoola with an issue like this?
:confused::confused:

Glad it worked out for you. My wife (Edelweiss) just had the same thing happen in the Catskills. She wore them most of the way back, but it continued to slip around, due to the breakage. She is in the process of contacting Kahtoola.

I haven't worn mine yet this season. Last year they worked just fine, although I did lose one on an ascent (found on the descent).

The Microspikes are a relatively new product, and as more people buy them, I wonder if we'll be seeing a proportional rate of failures.

Edit: seconds after I posted the above, Edelweiss received a nice note from Kahtoola with instructions to ship the broken pair back and they will send out a new pair right away!

Last edited:
update

This morning I received an email confirming the shipment of my replacement microSpikes. I thought 'wow, that was quick'. So I clicked on the UPS Tracking link and could not believe what I saw. Zappos not only shipped my replacement microSpikes the same day I called them, they shipped them via Next Day Air!

WOW... I hope this does not come across as some sort of guerrilla marketing ploy. It certainly is not. I'm not affiliated with them in any manor other than I purchased a pair of microSpikes from them last year on sale...

Zappos is very well-renowned for their excellent customer service. Being a shoe store where you can't try on anything pre-purchase, they kinda have to be. I've had excellent experiences there, even having them pay for shipping to return something I bought that was just the wrong color.

As for the Microspikes, did you happen to take a picture of the failure? I'd love to see how they pulled apart and compare to my own to see if there are any signs of stress.