quick Tahawus mining town question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insight

Reaction score
lO-'kA-sh&n : a position or site occupied or avail
I had a thread about this place a few weeks ago, but never questioned how hard it is to find it.

Topozone is down at the moment, so I can't check myself to be sure, but I think I remember the Indian Head Pass trail leading pretty much straight to it from the Loj. Can anyone please confirm this for me? For all I know, it could be "just off the trail", completely hidden by just 50m of dense woods......and we'd never find it. :( Or.....perhaps my memory is faulty (certainly nothing new...) and there's more to it. Either way, I've never been there, so I'd appreciate very specific directions from the approach from the north along Indian Head Pass trail if the trail doesn't lead right to the doorstep. ;)

Thanks!! Barring another setback, we're hoping to leave tomorrow (tuesday the 15th) morning, and be busy exploring the mining complex by wednesday early afternoon.

The town of Adirondac (the Tahawus mining town) is at the Upper Works trailhead. Just follow the Indian Pass trail all the way to the end.

lumberzac said:
The town of Adirondac (the Tahawus mining town) is at the Upper Works trailhead. Just follow the Indian Pass trail all the way to the end.

yep and the furnace and mine is further down the road...have fun exploreing

Yep, got a chance t check the map again, and I see the Indian Head Pass trail turns into the road that goes right through the ghost town, past the furnace, and then into the mining complex area. I can't wait!!!!!! :D

Thanks again! Sorry for the tiny thread!

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that at one point, the state or county had looked into turning that trail, Indian Pass into a road back in the 30's or 40's - Cut right through the heart of the ADK's. Does anyone else recall?

The last use of the small village was as a Cottage Club similar to the Ausable Club it lasted that way from the late 1800's to WWII. At that time the club was encouraged to move 12 miles down the road by the National Lead Mining company which happened to own the mineral rights under that whole area. There was a strong hint that they would be mining right under the village soon.

Of course they never actually did although they did fill in most of lake Sanford. You can see whats left of it on your right heading toward the village. Sanford was actually a spot where the Hudson widened out into a Lake. Now the whole far bank is mine tailings. My father has told me many stories and shown me pictures of 2lb Brook Trout he caught when he was young in both Sanford and Henderson. Oh how things have changed.

If you want to get a better look at the mines you can take the right fork about 2 to 3 miles before the village and cross the Hudson to the Mine parking lot and gate, a quick and interesting sidetrip. Talk about good places to test a mars lander.

I think the idea of the highway came during the Eisenhower administration when our interstate system was just getting started. Remember almost all of the early succesful highways were actually Parkways with the emphasis on Park. Sweeping vistas and dramatic scenery appealed to the boosters of projects like that. Luckily that one was scuttled although I would have to look up the history to find out the politics of the thing.