Mt. Roberts and Faraway Mtn. November 29

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
Mt. Roberts Trail had a dusting at the bottom and about 6" to 8" of dry crusty snow at the top. I was hoping to extend bare-ground hiking for another weekend, but at least it wasn't deep and weather was beautiful.

There's lots of different residents in the Ossipees.

snowshoe hare...

mooseyard081.jpg

spruse grouse (I think)

mooseyard082.jpg

view from smmit (I think) of Mt. Roberts looking north...

mooseyard085.jpg

The trail from there to faraway mtn. has tracks of different creatures just about the whole way.

bear...

mooseyard095.jpg

bear food (beech nut husks)

mooseyard111.jpg

moose...

mooseyard100.jpg

creatures great and small...(sqirrel and bear)

mooseyard099.jpg

some sort of mouse or mole tunneling around in the powder...

mooseyard090.jpg

view from Faraway Mtn....

mooseyard104.jpg

happy trails :)

Last edited:
You definately got to see some neat stuff on the trip. Lots of life in the woods in winter...always fun to track it.

Nice shots on a nice hike!

I would imagine yours was one of the vehicles I saw in the bottling plant hiker's lot around 1:30 yesterday. (I don't recall seeing it full before.) I had just used my limited time for a little hike to Hill 1223, which is the last bump on the ridge running SSW from Mt. Roberts. (Trail Bandit and Mary told me about a nice trail to it that leaves from around the bridge you cross, near the beginning of Ossipee Park Road.)

Lower down, there was less snow so fewer tracks. Sorry our paths didn't cross.

No comment on your "Faraway summit?" caption. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I loved the pictures of all the animal tracks. I am a novice at winter tracks and your pictures were 'worth one thousand words'. Thanks for the post. Is winter really here for good??

Wow, forestgnome was in the Ossipees! Great trip report!

cool pics and TR, forestgnome. I think the snow tunnels may be from a vole. I could be wrong about that, but I think they are the usual culprits when one spots those shallow tunnels in the snow or ground. I think moles usually dig deeper, and mice don't dig? Not so sure about the mice part.....

oops!!! I forgot to post the nightcap image...a cresent Moon setting over the hills..

mooseyard028.jpg

My first hike in the Ossipees was very nice. I hope to bump into one some of our local VFTTers from the Ossipees next time :)