Baxter, Memorial Day Weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue

Reaction score
Well - it was a weekend of contrasts:

Friday - we drove up and stayed at the Terrace Hotel. We were the only people staying there, and when we got to the hotel, they left the key in the door for us because of our late arrival (10:30PM).

Saturday - had the Terrace Hotel breakfast and drove out to the Togue Gate. After arriving at Roaring Brook, we noticed it was pretty cold. We hiked up South Turner and experienced a little snow/wind combo on top. We wandered down to Sandy Stream Pond and watched a few moose. Headed back to Roaring Brook and tried to warm up!

Sunday - we woke early and noticed the wind was whipping - so we decided once again to wait out another day for hiking Katahdin. We heard that 3 hikers were missing and SAR had been out looking for them by mid day. We hiked to Whidden Pond and down to the beautiful bog. By late afternoon, it warmed up and the black flies were out.

Monday - we awoke and headed up to Chimney Pond early - we found out that the missing hikers turned up safely on the Tote Rd. From Chimney Pond it was up Cathedral to Baxter Peak. The weather was excellent and views were endless. After lunch, we headed over to the Knife Edge, which was less scary than I had previously imagined. While hiking along the Knife Edge, we think we heard either wolves or coyotes howling - which was very surreal. The only tough part of the day was the Helon Taylor Trail. This trail seemed to go on and on and on and on and on and on and on...
Got down, had a quick bite at the Appalachian Trail Cafe and drove home in 6 hours.
The pictures are here

p.s. I love Baxter.

Last edited:
Wow, awesome shots ..... the "bax94" picture is amazing!! Right on the edge.
Thanks for sharing!

Yowza - nice trip!

Next summer, or winter, I am *so* going to Baxter. Pardon my raging jealousy.
:)

Great pictures Blue! I agree with i12climbup - bax94 is a great shot.

Going to have to get up there sometime!

Bob

Blue:

What great pics!! So glad you had a nice trip and didn't get eaten by the bugs!! I agree, Bax94 should be the new avatar!

Hope to see you on the trails soon! Laura

Great pictures, and nice reminder as to just how much of an idiot i was for going DOWN the Cathedral trail.