Osceolas - Trail Trotter's 48 of 48 for 2008, 11/30/2008

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
November 30, 2008: Osceolas, Main and East Peaks

Trails: Greeley Ponds Trail, Mount Osceola Trail

Summits: Osceola – Main and East peaks

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue), Kevinmac (Kevin McAllister), Fitz, and me

We reached the trailhead for the Greeley Ponds Trail on the Kancamagus Highway at approximately 7:00am and were setting off by 7:15am. The temperature was 19 degrees; we had partly cloudy sky conditions, and little or no breeze. The trail was covered with over twelve inches of snow that had been well tracked out. There was evidence of at least one set of snowshoes but the trail is not in snowshoe condition. Three of us started bare booting the hike and Trail Trotter had microspikes.

Today’s hike was Trail Trotter’s hike. She was finishing up hiking all of the Four Thousand Footers for 2008; a very nice accomplishment for sure. We were along to simply share in the fun and enjoy the day. As she should have been, Sue was out front all day and setting a generally friendly pace.

The initial part of the hike along the Greeley Ponds Trail includes a couple stream crossings. These can be difficult but we managed to all make it through with dry feet. Also on this section of trail were a couple blowdowns; go under one and around the other to get past. Very quickly we were at the Greeley Ponds – Mt. Osceola trails junction. We followed the Mt. Osceola trail over the East Peak to the Main Peak and back.

The initial part of the Mt. Osceola trail is a mild climb with great footing. We continued to the bottom of the slide as we started, with only Sue using traction. I started up a section beside the slide and retreated to add traction. At this point we all had light traction – I had Stabilicers and the others used MICROSpikes. From here the climb was very steep to the top crossing of the slide. We slowly made our way to the crossing and stepped out on to the slide to be treated to some great views past the Hancocks and Carrigain to the Presidentials. We had partly cloudy conditions and decided to get some pictures before the forecast cloud cover and bad weather moved in. Actually, the forecast indicated we should be out before the bad weather hits the area. Soon we were off for the final, really steep climb to the ridge and our first good view of the Main and East peaks of Mount Osceola. On the climb we encountered increasing amounts of ice and I started to think crampons would have been a better choice but we didn’t bring them. At the ridge we stepped off the trail to the right and enjoyed views of Mount Osceola as well as Kinsman Ridge, Franconia Ridge and all of the stuff leading there.

Again, the line formed and Sue was on the climb to Osceola East for her number 47 of 2008. We slowly made our way to the high point climbing one more steep section just below the summit. As we came to the view point east of the summit we also met a couple hikers that had passed us earlier. We continued to the summit cairn and stopped for the necessary pictures. While we were there the other two hikers cruised by.

From here there was only 1 mile, 550 feet, and one chimney to negotiate. Off we went, first climbing down 350 feet to the col and then on to the chimney. We reached the chimney and all of us just stared at it. The ice bulge has taken over the lower part and there is a lesser amount of ice cover on the remainder. Definitely nothing we were about to attempt with our gear. One-by-one we made our way up the bypass. Even this was a test for the light traction we had. I realized this hike is best done with crampons. Somehow we all made it to the top of the chimney and continued on. Above the chimney there are a couple view points where we stopped. Also, we made a stop for a quick refueling before the final climb to the Osceola Main peak. The two hikers that we had seen a couple times earlier in the hike had made their u-turn at the summit and were now headed the other way. A short steep section and we were at the final pitch leading to the summit clearing on Mt. Osceola. Trail Trotter led us onto her number 48 of 48 for 2008. Congratulations! I recall not long ago she had some doubts if she could hike them all in one year. The doubts are gone. We hung around for a while to enjoy the moment, and the views. Soon the cool wind got our attention and we decided it was time to leave.

Next stop, the chimney. We had fun climbing the bypass and I was pretty sure the return hike would also be interesting. Sue went first, then Kevin, then me, then Fitz. Slowly we all made our way to the bottom without a single fall. Now, to re-climb the 350 feet we lost on our way to the Main peak. There are a couple steep sections on the ridge leading back to the east peak but nothing we had any real trouble with. On the way we passed another group of four or five hikers and a dog headed to the Main. At the East summit cairn we stopped to prepare for the climb down. Ready, set, go! Trail Trotter took off down the trail with Kevin trying to follow. I already knew how that story was going to end so Fitz and I simply walked – at a brisk pace – toward the top of the steep climb. Along the way we came upon the others patiently waiting. We hit the top of the real steep section and Sue jumped over the edge – glissading the initial thirty or so yards. She repeated this move on the way down the trail to the bottom of the slide. The rest of us were a little more conservative with our approach and attempted to remain upright for the descent. It didn’t always work out that way but we all reached the bottom with nothing broken and no blood.

All that was left was an easy cruise back to the Mt. Osceola – Greeley Ponds trails junction and then back to the trailhead. Before the trails junction Fitz stopped to remove his MICROSpikes. The rest of us stayed with ours to the trailhead. Again, we all managed to clear the stream crossings with dry feet. In roughly an hour from the trails junction we were back at the truck and preparing for the drive south. We beat the bad weather.

Congratulations, Sue for hiking all 48 in 2008. And, thanks for having us along. It was really a terrific day on Mount Osceola.

Pictures will follow.

:D

I’ve posted some pictures from the hike.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow.

Congratulations Sue!

:D

Last edited:
Great TR, Earl... and congratulations to Sue on completing her 48th for 2008! Osceola is one of my favorite peaks, and I'm hoping to tackle it via the Greeley Ponds approach next year (primarily to check out the slide). I can totally imagine Trail Trotter glissading down the trail after our scree surfing on Owl's Head... :)

Can't wait to see the pictures.

Great trip report, and congrats Trail Trotter!

I generally can't remember what I had for dinner the night before, so perhaps you could jog my memory - is the Greeley Ponds Trail parking area plowed?

Great trip report, and congrats Trail Trotter!

I generally can't remember what I had for dinner the night before, so perhaps you could jog my memory - is the Greeley Ponds Trail parking area plowed?

Yes.

Way to go Sue. You are truly an inspiration to the other Ice Maidens. Well done!!!

Great TR, Big Earl, and wonderful accomplishment Trail Trotter. And you still had a month to go to make the goal. :D Is there a patch for this accomplishment? If not, there should be!

There are such fabulous views from the Osceolas, and you out did yourself with some fantastic photos of these views, and a nice job labeling your shots!
Nice TR . . . and congratulations Sue!

Wow, good stuff. The trail between the two Osceolas way tough for me in summer. I can't imagine hiking backwards down the Chimney...even the Chimney bypass...when there is ice on the ground. Congrats, and nice pictures BigEarl. Looks like there is a lot of snow up there. :D

grouseking

Congrats, TT! Sounds like a great time was had by all. Osceolas are a great way to wrap up the 48. They are my favorite. :)
Why are they your favorite? ;)

There are such fabulous views from the Osceolas, and you out did yourself with some fantastic photos of these views, and a nice job labeling your shots!
Nice TR . . . and congratulations Sue!
Thanks. I've always thought it was better to attempt to identify the main contents of the picture in case it wasn't recognized by the viewer. Every once in a while I miss one and get an education, which is also welcomed.

What a great accomplishment! I know it took blood, sweat and tears!

KDT
Thanks Kevin. I was fortunate to be with Sue on 45 of these summits. I recall seeing some blood and some sweat but don't remember the tears. Just because I didn't see them doesn't mean they weren't there. :rolleyes: A number of times we finished in the dark.

Wow, good stuff. The trail between the two Osceolas way tough for me in summer. I can't imagine hiking backwards down the Chimney...even the Chimney bypass...when there is ice on the ground. Congrats, and nice pictures BigEarl. Looks like there is a lot of snow up there. :D

grouseking
There is plenty of snow on the trail. Unfortunately, everybody is still bare booting their hikes. Once we all start to work on tracking out the trails for snowshoes it shouldn't take long to get a good base established. Initially, it will take some work to straighten out the rough trails that have developed in the current snow cover. Hopefully we'll all be on snowshoes soon. :)