Contacting Komperdell

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Since Komperdell is Austrian and their website doesn't seem to list a "contact us" who do I contact if I have a problem with a trekking pole?

Equinox (Trekking)
1307 Park Avenue
Williamsport, PA 17701
Tel. ++1-717-3225900
Fax ++1-717-3220746

Have any of you tried to contact them, if so, who did you talk to about perhaps warantee service?

Jay

Jay... You will need to contact their USA folks at:

Camaro USA LLC
22737 72nd Ave. S, Suite C-103,
Kent, WA 98032

p: 253-867-5735 f: 253-867-5734

Tell Lisa that Kevin from the Eastern Mountain Sports in Poughkeepsie New York said Hi... She is the contact for Komperdall, pretty quick turn around time for parts and service.

I talked to a person at the Kent, WA place last night and they told me to ship it to them in WA (not in PA) and they will look at it. 3 year warantee but they will either charge a small fee to fix/replace or do it under warantee. I tried to explain that these poles were only $48 new so it doesn't make sense for me to spend a lot of money to ship or fix. In fact, I was thinking on my bike in this morning that since it's only AL, I could just drill a few holes and stick a bolt and nut in it. I hardly ever compress them, usually only for airplane travel.

I was baffled at first when I called them that a REAL LIVE PERSON (tm) actually answered the phone... :)

Jay

Jay, do you remember where you bought them from? The reason I ask is because I bought my first set of poles from REI. They were Komperdells. Eventually the locking mechanism wouldn't stay locked and I would be hiking with compressed poles more often than not. I contacted REI and they took them back without a problem. I believe they gave me store (or online, in my case) credit.

Just a thought.

I bought them from REI (or probably REI-Outlet). I actually have my receipt from 12/2/07 for $48.. There is no REI near me unless I go down to South Jersey and Marlton...

If I do head towards Marlton, then maybe I'll consider stopping by but being an Aluminum shaft, it is just as easy to drill a hole and stick a bolt and nut through it.

Jay

If I do head towards Marlton, then maybe I'll consider stopping by but being an Aluminum shaft, it is just as easy to drill a hole and stick a bolt and nut through it.

True. The bolt/nut also means you get it back up and running quicker. I did everything with them over the phone since I've never seen an REI store in person. Yay for living in sticksville!

... but being an Aluminum shaft, it is just as easy to drill a hole and stick a bolt and nut through it.

Jay

Jay - another technique which will produce produce less drag/bulk than a bolt and nut is to use a rivet made from a 10d nail. Cut the nail slightly longer and then use a ballpeen hammer to round it over. It's a permanent fix, but it will never come apart.

I want it to be removable, just in case I do travel.. so I drilled a small hole and used a #6 3/4" flathead screw and a small #6 nut on the other side with locktite on it. Looks nice. I removed the plastic cylinder nub thing that is used to grip the shaft to tighten it since that is no longer possible and it works great and a lot cheaper than sending this thing all the way to WA.

I asked the lady there if I could send it to the PA address and she said only the WA deals with service...

Jay

If the post inside the pole snapped off, it can be repaired easily.

I had one that was like that, which is probably why it was thrown out. I repaired it as follows: I ground down the end of the shaft flat, drilled it out and tapped it. Then I inserted a bolt of the same thread with the head ground off and to a point. I attached the bolt remnants to the pole with Loctite, so it won't move, and reattached the original plastic locking nut. The pole now works normally and is in my collection.

Well, whatever is inside the shaft is permanently stuck there. I know there should be a threaded plastic part on the end of the lower section but I had to use vise grips and my vice to get the lower shaft out (which must of broke off whatever part that was on top that is now inside the upper shaft).

I have a set of really old Komperdell poles and I tried to see if the shafts are interchangeable and they're not.

I won a set of Lekis from one of those Banff shows but they are really heavy so I rather fix these...

Jay