nova, deadly ascent

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
December 6th at 8 pm and 11 pm watch this show on PBS. They measure the core internal body temperature with a swallowed pill. It is amazing how close some people come to death and do not know it. Great show, do not miss it. It is on other times if you want to record it. Check out the schedule on PBS.ORG.

December 6th at 8 pm and 11 pm watch this show on PBS. They measure the core internal body temperature with a swallowed pill. It is amazing how close some people come to death and do not know it. Great show, do not miss it. It is on other times if you want to record it. Check out the schedule on PBS.ORG.

Thanks for the heads up. I saw the temperature pill used on a show about climbing Denali. I am looking forward to seeing this one too!

Last edited:
Last edited:
These sound familiar. Isn't Deadly Ascent the one where the scientists did the altitude study with college students? If so, I saw it a year or so ago.

These sound familiar. Isn't Deadly Ascent the one where the scientists did the altitude study with college students? If so, I saw it a year or so ago.
No. IIRC, that was on Monte Rosa in Switzerland and they were flown up.

TV Guide description of this one:
"A tema of experts seeks to determine what causes the deaths of mountain climbers at extreme altitudes. Filmed on Alaska's Mount McKinley. Included: the dangers of hyperthermia and hypothermia; scenes of daring rescues and emergency treatments during the climbing season"

IIRC, they follow an ex-astronaut and a guide up McKinley. They are given temp-measuring pills to record their core temps. The background scenery is gorgeous, but I found the narration to be disappointingly low-information. Read the two prior threads referenced in my prior post.

EDIT: the program had a one or two min segment about an experiment that involved taking some students from sea level to the summit of Pike's Peak (14Kft). The rest was as stated above.

Doug

Last edited:
Thanks DougPaul, Yep, that's the one. I remember the astronaut and the Pike Peak test-that's what I was thinking of with the students.