Books for the holidays

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In order to cheer someone up during the depressing holiday season: :D

The Perfect Storm
Not Without Peril
Alive!
Adrift
Into the Wild

This one is even worse......LAST BREATH, the limits of adventure.
by Peter Stark
I got the title off the boards here some time ago.
Shall we say it is very descriptive of what happens at the end when things don't work out so well on your great adventure.
Quite honestly, I started to read it, and my intention is to go back to it, but maybe just a little at a time.
In my profession I dealt with death resulting from any and all causes my entire life but it doesn't seem to be making reading this any easier. Perhaps because it relates to bad outcomes while have great adventures.

. . . Fran Belcher's Logging Railroads of the White Mountains . . .

This is a terrific book, richly illustrated, that any experienced NH hiker would enjoy.

If we are looking beyond New England, the most gripping tale of true adventure I've read in recent years is The River of Doubt, by Candice Miller. She recounts the barely credible saga of the exploration in 1914 of an unknown 400-mile long tributary of the Amazon by Teddy Roosevelt and a remarkable band of U.S. and Brazilian adventurers. The river turned out to be choked with impassible rapids and the rainforest inhabited by cannibals who had not previously encountered "Europeans." I couldn't put it down.

Thanks all.

I like the histories of the northeast, so it sounds like 'Forest and Craig' will be hard to emulate, but 'Tall Trees, Tough Men' may have potential.

Has anyone an opinion on 'The Wildest Country: Exploring Thoreau's Maine'??