An afternoon in and around the Ossipees, 12/03/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket21

Reaction score
On my way to an Ossipee Range hike, I decided to stop by the Moultonborough International Airport. After going through security and customs, I met up with the Trail Bandit, who offered to take me for a plane ride.

The Trail Bandit and his SIAI-Marchetti
ossipee120308a.jpg

The only planes I've ever been in have been Southwest Airlines jets, so this was going to be an experience. Fittingly, the in flight movie today was Smokey and the Bandit II:
ossipee120308b.jpg

Soon, we said Roger to Roger, upon getting clearance from Clarence in the vector chosen by Victor.
ossipee120308c.jpg

The Dan Hole Ponds and the Ossipees as seen from the south:
ossipee120308d.jpg

Soon, we located Mary (who joined us in the November Southern Ossipee Traverse) who was also out flying. Since we were going nearly 200 MPH (about 100 MPH faster than her), I couldn't get a photo of her plane. I did, however, get a shot of the Castle in the Clouds grounds as we banked a turn:
ossipee120308e.jpg

After checking out the Moose Mountains and some of the western Maine mountains, we decided to do some peakbagging in the Presidentials. Here's the Mount Washington Observatory and Tip Top House:
ossipee120308f.jpg

On the way back, we passed by the west side of Mount Chocorua:
ossipee120308g.jpg

Back on the ground, I headed down 171 and hiked Little Ball and Big Ball Mountain for the sunset, via the Mt. Shaw, Tate Mountain, and Banana Trails:
ossipee120308h.jpg

Thank you to the Trail Bandit for the great time!

Simply Soaring Report

Wow Rocket21! You really “rocketed” to new heights with this report!!

An excellent (not to mention unique!) report Jeremy! Thanks for sharing.

Some photos of some of the Ossipee 10 list:

Bayle Mountain:
ossipee120308i.jpg

Larcom Mountain:
ossipee120308j.jpg

Faraway (2,782) Mountain, with the real Black Snout in the upper right:
ossipee120308k.jpg

Big Ball (Tate) Mountain center, Mt. Shaw upper left, Mt. Flagg upper right:
ossipee120308l.jpg

Mt. Shaw center, Black Snoot on left:
ossipee120308m.jpg

Sentinel Mountain: