Mt. Washington (summit) via Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail & Crawford Path

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

Date of Hike: 12/3/2008

Trail Conditions: Below Gem Pool packed/icy crust snow, bare bootable, above crampons needed/required, definitely above Lake of the Clouds Hut. All boulders/obstacles covered over by 2-3'+ of frozen snow above Gem Pool made for very easy going, below Gem Pool 8-12" of snow covered almost everything.

Special Equipment Required: Crampons/Poles useful below treeline, essential on the slabs up to Lake of the Clouds and on the Crawford Path/Westside Trail to the summit. No need for snowshoes or ice axe, left them at the Hut.

Comments: Unbelievable day, had to skip work, no clouds in the ski, warm temps all the way to 5000 ft., minimal wind. The snowpack was frozen or packed down, so there was no post-holing through, I should HAVE NOT carried my snowshoes in my pack all day. Due to visibility the trail was very easy to follow and by the end of the day was packed down below the Hut due to the 8-10 hikers on the trails. This trail is much easier than Tucks/Lion Head combo route and definitely more picturesque sooner, plan on 6 hrs. rountrip if you are out of shape, like me, plus rest time.

-Andrei

[email protected]