Bald Knob, Turtleback, Black cap and Shaw - Ossipee Range- 12/6/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HockeyPuck

Reaction score
Date of Hike: Saturday 12/6/08

Trail Conditions: Parked at the Tuftonboro / Moultonboro town line and enjoyed a peaceful, snowless climb to Bald Knob. Snow line started just North of Bald Knob with 1" of hard, crusty snow. Bushwhacked directly to Turtleback.

The snow cover thickened anywhere from 2 to 6 inches as I followed the carriage Rd along a contour line of Middle Mountain and after the 2nd stream crossing continued straight as the trail made a hairpin turn. Had a short bushwhack to a trail that accesses the ridgeline and paid a visit to the under-rated Black Cap summit and spectacular views from Shaw.

Followed the high ridge in 2 - 6 inches of snow to the Castle in the Clouds area and a very icy snowmobile corridor back to Rt 171. Short road walk back to car.

Special Equipment Required: no traction needed - Eaily Barebootable. I found the poor man's hiking stick I grabbed very useful. Wore gaiters.

Comments: My first experience in the Ossipee range (I'll ba back!) Spectacular views on a clear day. Had the trails to myself, Did not see anyone the entire 12.5 miles.

Your name: HockeyPuck