Mount Jackson via Jackson-Webster Trail (Jackson Branch) - 12/6

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

Saturday, 12/6

Trail Conditions: Snow conditions ranging from bare (on the larger rocks on the trail), to 2-6" of mostly packed cover from Crawford Notch to the Webster-Jackson Trail split, with virtually no post-holing along the way. From the junction to the summit, the snow is much less packed and increases in depth to around 2' of loose pack/powder at some points, as well as some post-holing (nothing too major though). At roughly 1/2 mile from the summit the trail becomes icey. Webster Cliff Trail to the Mizpah Hut/Mt. Pierce looked unbroken and very snowy. The stream crossings along the trail are all easily done, but not frozen over yet.

Special Equipment: My friend and I wore snow shoes the whole way, but the trail before the split can be bare-booted. After the trail junction, snowshoes were definitely helpful, as the trail was covered in much more powder. During the icey sections, some traction would help.

Comments: Great view of the entire Southern Presidentials and Mount Washington. If you're going up this way bring some extra food for the Grey Jays. A group of four or so flew between my friend and I and two other hikers a good portion of the hike, including the summit.