Tom, Field, Willey, & Avalon from Crawford Notch, Sunday 12/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
Date: Sunday, December 14

Hike: Tom, Field, Willey, and Avalon loop from Crawford Notch

Distance/Elevation: 10.1 miles, 3650 feet

Book Time: ~7 hours

Sunday looks like a great day for the Willey Range. I’m interested in hiking the usual route to hit Tom, Field, and Willey and then back over Field for the exit via Avalon. The hike has a book time of ~7 hours but can and probably will go longer due to the conditions. Planning for a nine hour hike probably makes sense. There’s a great mid-hike bail-out at Mount Field. If there’s a reason to cut the hike short, Mount Willey can be skipped. Roughly 100 yards off the summit of Mount Field is the Avalon Trail back to Crawford Notch. I believe light traction and snowshoes may be needed for the hike.

Edit: Evidently crampons may be needed on the Avalon Trail, particularly the section between Mount Avalon and the A-Z Trail junction. Based on how well they did last weekend on the Beaver Brook Trail, MICROSpikes will probably do the job too.

I’d like to plan on a 7:30am start, which should have us back to the trailhead by 4:30pm. My usual hiking pace is moderate.

If you’re interested in the hike, please respond to this thread or PM.

:)

Last edited:
Earl!

You've been on quite a tear this year. Very humbling, but inspirational as well. What are your winter goals this year? Hopefully I'll be able to join in on one of your hikes. Carry-on.....Stu:cool:

Darn, a week too early for me Earl. :D

I need Willey for winter anyways, and besides I have a backpack this weekend with Russ....oh well, you can't evade me ALL winter ;).

Brian
Brian, You want a piece of me? I'm ready when you are. Let's step outside! ;)

Earl!

You've been on quite a tear this year. Very humbling, but inspirational as well. What are your winter goals this year? Hopefully I'll be able to join in on one of your hikes. Carry-on.....Stu:cool:
Stu, thanks. Winter plans are still a work-in-progress. I'll probably just keep hiking the list. It turns out to be a handy way to avoid falling into a rut of only hiking in one area.

The Willey Range is a pretty big place. Come to Crawford Notch on Sunday and join the fun, there's room. :)

Does that mean you are going to the bird count? Or just doing Tom/Field/Willey anyway, which either way, we intend to do as well?

So in other words, stop following us around! :eek:

:D

I would be a horrible Bird Count participant. My knowledge of birds breaks down into two catagories: Birds that look like chicken, and birds that TASTE like chicken. :D But hey, maybe I AM stalking you....perhaps I could go down in infamy as the "Views and Brews stalker". :p;)

BIGEarl said:
Brian, You want a piece of me? I'm ready when you are. Let's step outside!
Thats it Earl! Bring it. You. Me. Owl's Head. 21st?! :D:p

Brian

I would be a horrible Bird Count participant. My knowledge of birds breaks down into two catagories: Birds that look like chicken, and birds that TASTE like chicken. :D But hey, maybe I AM stalking you....perhaps I could go down in infamy as the "Views and Brews stalker". :p;)

Thats it Earl! Bring it. You. Me. Owl's Head. 21st?! :D:p

Brian

You're on!

:)

Now, back to Tom, Field, Willey, & Avalon from Crawford Notch this Sunday - 12/14.

Anybody interested???

Last edited:
Does that mean you are going to the bird count? Or just doing Tom/Field/Willey anyway, which either way, we intend to do as well?

So in other words, stop following us around! :eek:

:D

TOm the Bird Count is the week after Dec 20....

Hey Earl let us know what you see.

Believe it or not, this thread is not about counting birds. :rolleyes:

Now, back to hike of Tom, Field, Willey, & Avalon from Crawford Notch this Sunday - 12/14.

Anybody interested???

Last edited:
Interested, but still sorting out my weekend plans at this late date. I will post again if it works for me to join you.

Believe it or not, this thread is not about counting birds. :rolleyes:

Now, back to hike of Tom, Field, Willey, & Avalon from Crawford Notch this Sunday - 12/14.

Anybody interested???

Sorry about the hijack. I look forward to your trip report.

I'll be with an AMC trip this Sat and Sun hiking up Wiley and Field and camping at Ethan Pond. Maybe we'll bump into you.

I just spoke with Earl. He will not be hiking Sunday due to the fact that he still does not have power yet. He said he was going to spend time playing lumberjack keeping the fire/heat and generator going as well as cleaning up the debris around his house

KevinMac - Thanks for the update.
Big Earl - Hope we get the chance to connect for a hike some other time.
Steve