Cold Cold World Packs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might consider sending email to a VFTT member "erd" (aka Ted) which you can do a member search for. He's not terribly active here but he is a member. I know he has and uses some of their packs so if nobody else chimes in, you could email him and ask. I do not know which pack he has but I've hiked the catskills with him before and know he has some.

Jay

I've used Cold Cold War packs and also know the Owners and Designers of the company. Their packs are geared toward Alpine style climbing which can be good for hikers depending on a few things. If you go light you will probably like these packs as their dry weight is light already. If you need alot of support from the pack because of heavier loads or if you have a small torso this might not be your deal. Basically these packs are soft packs with very little internal framework. Most of the packs generate their support from a large piece of thick foam which also doubles as a bivy pad. I've found that 40 lbs. is about the limit as far as a pack of this style for me before the lack of support from the pack makes it uncomfortable; but I also have a small torso so someone that is longer may have better luck with larger loads. Again this is a Alpine siege style type of pack. Typically not as durable because of lighter weight materials...but resulting in again an overall lighter overall total weight. Wild Things is the other line that makes very similar packs. Wild Things and Cold Cold War basically evolved out of the same era of climbers/founders. Good stuff if you know how to pack right but definitely leans towards the minalmist end of the spectrum.

Nice packs

I have the Valdez that I love, it's the smaller version that is perfect for taking up climbs. Long & Narrow so it doesn't interfere with swinging the axe or reaching on rock. A perfect day pack. :)

Randy is awesome, he custom made mine, for my short torso and curved the straps in for my narrow shoulders.

I love the minimalist features, has what you need but no extra crap that adds weight. Plus I like supporting the local guy!!

IME in N Conway normally carries all his packs so you can try them on.

I've used Cold Cold War packs and also know the Owners and Designers of the company. Their packs are geared toward Alpine style climbing which can be good for hikers depending on a few things. If you go light you will probably like these packs as their dry weight is light already. If you need alot of support from the pack because of heavier loads or if you have a small torso this might not be your deal. Basically these packs are soft packs with very little internal framework. Most of the packs generate their support from a large piece of thick foam which also doubles as a bivy pad. I've found that 40 lbs. is about the limit as far as a pack of this style for me before the lack of support from the pack makes it uncomfortable; but I also have a small torso so someone that is longer may have better luck with larger loads. Again this is a Alpine siege style type of pack. Typically not as durable because of lighter weight materials...but resulting in again an overall lighter overall total weight. Wild Things is the other line that makes very similar packs. Wild Things and Cold Cold War basically evolved out of the same era of climbers/founders. Good stuff if you know how to pack right but definitely leans towards the minalmist end of the spectrum.

Well I am used to packing light. My 3 season pack is a Granite Gear Vapor Trail; before that it was a Golite Race. I also have a long torso (21"). I guess the best thing for me to do is take my winter gear with me to The Mountaineer and try it out.

chaos as winter backpack

I have an old chaos (purple and black) that's a little smaller than the current model. I've used it a winter day pack, rock, ice and back country skiing pack and a non-winter backpack. I've had it maybe 10+ years and it's pretty much bombproof although the foam support is starting to get a little soft and the support isn't quite as good.

I bought the new chaos last winter and I'm very happy with it. The material is lighter than the old model but so far it doesn't seem any less durable. I've taken it on some pretty thick winter bush whacks and no damage so far. I do some solo winter weekend backpack trips and it's not quite big enough to carry my 30 below down bag, down parka and down pants, tent, stove and other personal gear. For a non-solo trip with some shared gear, I think I could probably get everything in there.

I also have a Chernobyl which is a great winter day pack.

I think, given the weight of the packs, you can't do much better.

I have a Chernobyl. They make great packs, but i'm an Osprey convert.
I found the CCW pack to really bother my back on long forays climbing ice in Huntington due to lack of back stay. Probably just me since everyone loves them. It's nothing against the brand as they make a quality product.

With the back stay i find heavier loads to feel and carry lighter. to each their own.
I'll sell you one if you want it :)

----------------
http://mountainwild.wordpress.com/