Nice or Necessary for winter hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carole

Reaction score
With winter fast approaching it might be nice to share some tips on what you do to make the hiking more enjoyable and perhaps safer.

Some thoughts to start:

Lip balm: It keeps the lips from drying out, getting sunburn (if you use a sun-block lip balm) and I just like it. I sometimes put some on the nose also because it is exposed to the wind and cold and sun.

Sunblock: a nice moisturing sunblock is good for the face as it helps prevent frostbite, and on bright days that sun works from above as well as from the glare of the snow and ice below.

Pad: some kind of insulating pad makes breaks nicer even if on bare ground. (If you’re going to sit on your pack know where your crampons are - or anything crushable like glasses or goggles.)

Hot drink: a bottle of something hot in an insulated cover, or a thermal cup or bottle (with a sock or some insulator to keep the metal from chilling your hand) is good to have.

Insulated bottle sack: I like to have a drink handy by looping one through my waist belt (I loop it twice to keep it in place and it hangs better).

Labels: I like to check anything new for labels that can scratch whether at the neck, or waist, or wherever and remove them. Nothing worse than being all bundled and zipped up and something is itching you all day long.

Sunglasses: The glare of snow and ice wears on the eyes when out in the open for a long time.

Zipper pulls: I like to check that they are long and sturdy enough to use with a heavy glove on, and will survive the constant up/down zips of the day. I change them out if needed.

Stuff sacks: Keeping things organized makes things go quicker when stopping for changes of layers, etc.

Rump rider: Controversial yes, but I love a good ride down.:)

Pack: Big enough to keep everything inside rather than dangling off the sides to be lost. And practice getting the snowshoes strapped on securely with heavy gloves.

Hand and toe warmers: I’ve never used them but always carry them.

I attach a 6" loop of parachute cord to each mitten and glove. That way, when I switch out handwear if my hands get sweaty, or I'm taking a break, picking my nose, or for whatever reason, I can just put my waistbelt buckle (or sternum strap buckle) through the 6" loops and secure the mittens or gloves to me instead of having to put them back in the pack or a pocket. It saves a lot of time, and keeps the handwear options open.

Thinking of my first winter summit (Cascade) I'd add ski goggles to the list. It was snowing with a 60mph wind on the summit. The snow blew under my sunglasses and pelted my eyes. Getting off the summit nearly blind was not fun.

My secret weapon has always been a balaclava. Not only for above the treeline, but also for hanging around the campsite, and sleeping if the weather is cold enough.

I know it's pretty standard, but I've been trying to think about utilizing the rest step a lot more these days. When done correctly it really helps with constant, steep inclines!

Ibuprofen. It really helps!

I have always carried: Lip balm, Hot drink (and/or hot soup), insulated bottle carriers and hand warmers (still in the package.) My zipper pulls are rigged for operation while wearing mittens.

If sunny and exposed, then: Sunblock + Sunglasses. I rarely need the sunglasses, I've noticed, and the few times I've worn them they get scratched.

New this year: Stuff sacks (love em), Pad - I got a full-sized Z-rest. I notice some people cut this just big enough to sleep on. Thoughts on this?

Tim

I attach a 6" loop of parachute cord to each mitten and glove. That way, when I switch out handwear if my hands get sweaty, or I'm taking a break, picking my nose, or for whatever reason, I can just put my waistbelt buckle (or sternum strap buckle) through the 6" loops and secure the mittens or gloves to me instead of having to put them back in the pack or a pocket. It saves a lot of time, and keeps the handwear options open.

This is a good idea, but I'd love to figure out a way to do it so that the openings face down instead of up, since mine fill with snow falling off the trees typically.

Anyone else have that happen, and what do you do?

This is a good idea, but I'd love to figure out a way to do it so that the openings face down instead of up, since mine fill with snow falling off the trees typically.

ALL THE TIME! It's quite frustrating. I did see a solution once. One of my climbing partners (a professional mountaineer and rock wall owner) had a pair of Marmot gloves with a little loop on the top of the middle finger (good place for it, :rolleyes:), so he could clip it onto something and it would then be upside down. It seemed to work really well for him. I haven't seen anything like it since then, and I'm not sure why. Besides the possible snagging hazard, it seems like it would work really well.
At this point I usually just put my gloves in one of my water bottle pockets on the side of my pack.

ALL THE TIME! It's quite frustrating.

Yea, nothing like needing to warm your hands up and finding the glove filled with snow already.

To carole - I like the list

Lip balm is a necessity, and I like the Lifeguard one from Burt's Bees, since it has zinc oxide in it.

I also bring a couple wool hats, since they end up getting wet either from sweating, or snow dropping on them. And multiple pairs of glove liners for the same reason.

I often find myself wearing my face mask (the stitching serendipitously came undone in the front, allowing me to eat, drink, and spit without exposing my cheeks). I usually keep my balaclava tucked away for "emergencies" or extremely cold and windy conditions above the treeline.

Last edited:
ALL THE TIME! It's quite frustrating. I did see a solution once. One of my climbing partners (a professional mountaineer and rock wall owner) had a pair of Marmot gloves with a little loop on the top of the middle finger (good place for it, :rolleyes:), so he could clip it onto something and it would then be upside down. It seemed to work really well for him. I haven't seen anything like it since then, and I'm not sure why. Besides the possible snagging hazard, it seems like it would work really well.
They are still out there:
http://marmot.com/fall_2008/mens/gloves/work_gloves/work_glove
http://marmot.com/fall_2008/mens/gloves/work_gloves/exum_work_glove
http://marmot.com/fall_2008/mens/gloves/multipurpose/alpinist_glove
http://www.bdel.com/gear/punisher.php

Its a feature you will see on climbing "work gloves" and not really on mittens or warm bulky glove systems. The idea is that you use your more dexterous, lighter, but colder work glove for climbing bits and then you can clip them to your harness in between the climbing and take out your warmer gloves or mittens for the belays. These are an extreme example of work glove great for climbing but bad for everything else:
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/alibi_gloves.html

Last edited:
All of the items mentioned I already carry. The two items that will be new this winter will be a section of 7mm accessory cord and my kilt. I’ve hiked in shorts all winter for the past several years with no problem, so this will be my first winter in the kilt. I’ve done a few hikes already and nothing beats a kilt for peeing off the trail. No fumbling with a zipper while wearing gloves or mittens, just a simple tug with the thumb on the waistband and you are golden (no pun intended). I always carry a pair of wind pants just in case, yet I have only used them once in three winters.

All of the items mentioned I already carry. The two items that will be new this winter will be a section of 7mm accessory cord and my kilt. I’ve hiked in shorts all winter for the past several years with no problem, so this will be my first winter in the kilt. I’ve done a few hikes already and nothing beats a kilt for peeing off the trail. No fumbling with a zipper while wearing gloves or mittens, just a simple tug with the thumb on the waistband and you are golden (no pun intended). I always carry a pair of wind pants just in case, yet I have only used them once in three winters.

I'd hate to think of you glissading!

I know it's pretty standard, but I've been trying to think about utilizing the rest step a lot more these days. When done correctly it really helps with constant, steep inclines!

I was baffled by this until I realized it said rest step, not rest stop, but I was ready to accept it as a fact, anyway.

'Tis the season of many pockets so things I like to have close at hand are stuffed in pockets instead of the pack, especially things like glove liners, hats, fleece headbands and various small items and spares that frequently come on and off for heat management. Can get confusing unless you have a system and always store these things in the same place according to some pattern, as demented as it might be ... hence, the method to the madness.

I'd hate to think of you glissading!

To be honest, when I would glissade in shorts I would end up having my shorts full of snow in the nether region. With a kilt, the snow would just flow over my legs. Once I stood up the snow would fall to the ground and I wouldn’t have to dig it out as I did with the shorts, which always looked rather odd to other hikers who were with me. There is a method to my madness. ;)

This is a great thread! Everyone has varied tricks and tips that are extra useful in winter.
I have added straps to my bigger outer mitts and gloves, with a large loop around my wrist so when I need to take them off briefly I can shrug them off, they dangle from my wrists and do not blow away in a gale.
If I take them off for longer periods of time, I clip the chest strap through them the same as Wardsgirl does.
To stop them filling with snow I shove the open end of one glove into the other, so they close each other off.

In general, I like to have crucial items in pockets or pouches so they are accessible without having to stop and dig through my pack when it is so cold out I would rather keep moving. A pack with a built-in zippered pocket in the waist belt is great for lip balm, snacks, etc. You can always clip a nylon drawstring pouch or two to the waist belt. I keep snacks and energy gels close to my body so they do not freeze solid (no one likes to chew their GU). :p

If carrying ski googles or glacier glasses, carry an anti-fog lens cleaner. Cat Crap one's work for me.

They are still out there:
http://marmot.com/fall_2008/mens/gloves/work_gloves/work_glove
http://marmot.com/fall_2008/mens/gloves/work_gloves/exum_work_glove
http://marmot.com/fall_2008/mens/gloves/multipurpose/alpinist_glove
http://www.bdel.com/gear/punisher.php

Its a feature you will see on climbing "work gloves" and not really on mittens or warm bulky glove systems. The idea is that you use your more dexterous, lighter, but colder work glove for climbing bits and then you can clip them to your harness in between the climbing and take out your warmer gloves or mittens for the belays. These are an extreme example of work glove great for climbing but bad for everything else:
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/alibi_gloves.html

Oh, ok. Thanks for the info. It would seem to me, however, that this could be standard for other gloves, besides simply the work gloves. It appears to be a fairly standard issue that I have heard of many times.

I was baffled by this until I realized it said rest step, not rest stop, but I was ready to accept it as a fact, anyway.

HAHAHAHA, that's too funny :D

I notice many have said they carry hand-warmers, but have yet to use them.
I carry hand and foot warmers,filed under "emergency equipment" in my pack, and also have never used them. Has anyone gotten to the point of breking theirs out?

I notice many have said they carry hand-warmers, but have yet to use them.
I carry hand and foot warmers,filed under "emergency equipment" in my pack, and also have never used them. Has anyone gotten to the point of breking theirs out?

Yes, I have used them on two trips in near emergency situations. They're not that expensive, so I don't mind using them if the situation calls for it.