Trailhead Parking Restrictions: Little River Rd.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob T

Reaction score
Hi Little River Valley Winter Enthusiasts.

Last winter I made contact with the owner of the land surrounding the end of the Little River Rd. He kindly granted me access to the winter spur of the North Twin Trail. The spur runs through his land. He asked that I call him each time I went out so he could keep track of what car I was in. I parked at the end of the road and had a great time all winter long playing in that amazing valley.

I called him today to see if I could re-up for this winter which I'm pleased to note is barreling down upon us as I write. He said no. Apparently parties from a certain well-known organization parked at the end of the road and accessed his property without permission last winter. He has now posted his property and is no longer granting access. I didn't press him. He was generous enough last winter and the end of Little River Rd. was periodically becoming packed with cars which prevent plows from turning around.

I then called Seven Dwarfs Motel and spoke to Franz. He will set aside parking spaces at 6 bucks a pop. I bet a lot of you are already aware of this option. The approach will be a little longer, but on the plus side we won't have to worry about being plowed in.

I wanted to convey all this as a heads up to those of us who enjoy the LRV after Haystack Rd closes. I bet that some of you know the trip leaders of the organized tours of the area. Perhaps you could pass the word on to them.

Thanks and best wishes for a stupendous winter filled with really DEEP snow!
-lurker bob

Bob -

Thanks for the Heads up. I guess I didn't stop to think about the land being owned by someone. I have always parked at the 7dwarfs, and only last time parked at the end of Little River Rd. I always saw cars there and figured it would save 5 minutes and $6 dollars.

Are you thinking of going Saturday? Alas, I can't as I am throwing my wife a surprise 40th birthday party. I plan to let her sleep in on Sunday, as she may have a slight headache :)

I'll look forward to the right up and pics. It could be DEEEEEEEEEEP in there. Hopefully the waterbars will be a little easier to cross.

I have always parked at the Seven Dwarfs and left Franz a five spot (so a dollar increase seems reasonable for this winter). But, is the old rickety bridge on the right side of the roadhead, which leads to snowmobile trail that intersects the Haystack Road about 0.5 below the kiosk, posted?

That is interesting about the unnamed group ticking off the landowner last winter, because I joined the unnamed group for a hike last winter and was assured by the leaders that we were ok. I will definitely let those leaders know about this sequence of events, in case they do not know already. :(

Last edited:
is the old rickety bridge on the right side of the roadhead, which leads to snowmobile trail that intersects the Haystack Road about 0.5 below the kiosk, posted?
This weekend will be the first time this season that I'm trying the winter trailhead. I'll look for the signs and report back, but I bet that bridge is exactly what the landowner doesn't want used. (Which is a darn shame because it gives perfect access to the spur!) My guess is that he's got liability concerns and wants to draw a clear line about trespassing.

Like Dr. D I am more than happy to drop six bucks to Franz at Seven Dwarfs. Only used this option once, but upon meeting Franz it was clear this is one cool dude. I'll spend the money not only because it is convenient when the road is closed, but because $6 is a reasonable amount to help out the locals.

Brian

Don't forget that Franz has that little café open in the winter, too, despite the motel rooms themselves being closed. I don't know the exact hours, but it's a great place for a hot coffee or cocoa aprés-hike, or if you're getting a late enough start, breakfast.

So does this mean we are supposed to park at the Seven Dwarfs and then bushwhack in from there? Or is there a trail leaving from the motel?

Clearly the problem isn't the parking, it's the walking on closed property, or did I miss it?

Sorry for the confusion!

Brian

From 7 Dwarfs there is a snowmobile trail that leads to Haystack Road just north of the bridge which is just north of the trailhead. I think. It's been a few years...

Don't forget that 7 Dwarfs is a snowmobile repair/rental shop too, so if Franz has specific parking for hikers in a certain area, please respect that.

From 7 Dwarfs there is a snowmobile trail that leads to Haystack Road just north of the bridge which is just north of the trailhead. I think. It's been a few years...

Don't forget that 7 Dwarfs is a snowmobile repair/rental shop too, so if Franz has specific parking for hikers in a certain area, please respect that.

To add to MichaelJ's post - below is an older map the Twin Mtn snowmobile club has posted to their website. Look for the Tuttle Brook snowmobile trail, and that it intersects Little Haystack Road.

When I've parked at the 7 Dwarfs (and it's been a few years), it's usually early in the morning, and no one was up at the motel. I've put my $$ in an envelope with the make/model of my vehicle, along with my name, and slid it under the door.

http://www.twinmtnsnowmobile.org/map.htm

Last edited:
Just curious, how much walking do you save by parking at the motel vs. just walking up the road?

I parked there once, earlier this year in May (Haystack Road was still closed). I had called ahead the night before to confirm that it was ok, and when I got there I went into the office, gave him $5, and then he directed us to park in certain spaces in the lot. So it might be ok to just leave money in an envelope, but if the office is open when you park, it might be better to just go in and let him know you want to park there.

AMC making the locals happy again - I see. :mad::mad:

as long as the folks in metro boston can get their list check off......

That very well might be so, giggy. But, keep in mind that any large group of hikers will most likely be tagged "AMC", whether they are or not, to an observer.

And, even if most of the hikers in a group are also members of the AMC (not an uncommon occurence) it's only an "AMC Hike" if it's a published hike, officially sanctioned by either Joy Street or a Chapter.

Keep in mind - I am not saying the groups who took advance of the landowner at the end of the road either were or were not AMC - just wanted to point out that "AMC" is often painted with a pretty broad brush.

Just curious, how much walking do you save by parking at the motel vs. just walking up the road?

You don't - but the issue is that by walking up the road you need to tresspass across the posted property and bridge in order to access the trails. Last time we were there the road is not posted for no parking - but the property you must cross is posted. Like others have said - park at 7 Dwarfs - support Franz. Grab a snack - use the restrooms.

kevin - We have seen hikers from both offical AMC hikes as well as other non-AMC groups park at the end of the road and tresspass.

Lets all set a good example and abide by the owners wishes.

I think MadRiver meant how much time/walking do you save parking at the motel vs. walking *Haystack* Road. I've walked that road: it's not a big deal and it's a smooth xc-ski; however, there's not really a good place to park at Rte 3.

we've paid Franz to park overnight in the past ... what do you do when nobody's there ? slip a fin under the door ?

Yup, that's what I've done on more than one occasion.

Obviously now that the property is posted and the owner has made wishes clear, Seven Dwarves is the way to go. But I'm a little confused as to what the proper procedure would have been (and, by extension, might be in similar circumstances.) Bob, you say you contacted the owner...how did you make contact? Look it up in the assessor's office? I presume NH does not have the law that public access is permitted if the land is unposted, unfenced, and undeveloped?