Winter easing its grip on Northeast

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Dasypodidae

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
A recent New England climate study published in the Journal of Geophysical Research was summarized in the Boston Globe on 11 December 2008. Unfortunately, the climate graph was left out of the on-line edition. I do not wish this thread to become a political discussion, but just something to consider should you wish to invest in the ski industry, or should you consider setting a NH4s winter speed record, which might become easier with less snow.

http://www.boston.com/news/weather/articles/2008/12/11/winter_easing_its_grip_on_northeast/

I'm a AGW believer, but there is a lot in this article that bothers me. But its 3am, so I'm not going to get into it now. Maybe I'll like it better in the morning.

grouseking

"We still haven't gotten to that magical point where the freezing line is breached, and it's going to be difficult to get it to snow," said David Robinson, a professor of geography at Rutgers University. "Last winter is a wonderful example. . . . New England got clobbered last year, although it was not a cold winter."

I remember last winter crossing feeder streams surrounded by towering snowbanks. It made for some interesting crossings.

I'm not so sure about that magical point not getting breached, however. February 08 was the wettest on February record for several locations in Eastern Massachusetts, breaking the mark with several days to spare. A lot of that came as rain, whereas most of New Hampshire got almost all snow.

Last edited: