Dickey via Dickey Welch Loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverfox

Reaction score
Trail conditions...Hard pack bullet proof snow with long stretches of hard ice..a few spots where recent running water had erased snow down to the leaves and a few bare rocks..very little ice in the trees until around 2000 feet where there was some..removed a few broken limbs...no blowdowns of any consequence

Equipment: saw it all today..from bare boot to Yaxtrak which both turned around...I used microspikes on the way up but switched to 10 points for the descent which worked pretty well..saw msr prints and full crampons also

Comments..short time frame ..a direct result of Christmas party the night before kept me close to home..Hadn't done Welch Dickey in a bit so pulled off the Campton exit.. Mad River running high... I suspect brook crossing will be tough for a bit..The parking lot was a sheet of ice..so I put the micros on right away..chatted with a few folks..2 micros..one crampon..icouple barebooting and blue jeans..they did not last long as there was ice virtually from the parking lot. My goal was Dickey so headed up that way..microspikes were perfect in the rock hard snow..heavy ice by the ledges made you choose your way but there were nice local views from on top under the lowering overcast...On the way down I had a few small slips with the micros so went to the "mini" crampons which were perfect for the descent.. Caught up with a couple of barebooters who had made it up quite a ways but had turned around and were cautiously heading back down...good day in the woods

a few photos

http://flickr.com/photos/silverfox777/sets/72157611264505297/

Last edited: