Scar Ridge or Canisters Ridge?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meo

Reaction score
I read that there are canisters on both East and Middle Scar Ridge. Fine. But what about West Peak, the NE100 one? There are 2 knobs on that West Peak. The eastern one has a canister with "Scar ridge" written on it. It's the one you hit directly when you climb the ridge from the Kanc. But what about the Western knob, .2 mile further? In Gene Daniell's notes, it is written that "although the canister is on the more definite East knob, purists will feel compelled to tramp on the flatter but technically higher West knob, the actual highest knob still being a matter of opinion".

So, are all those who signed in the eastern canister without signing in the western one are ok according to the NE100 rules? Which one really "counts"? Both?

It is strange and confusing having a summit with 2 canisters:confused:

Meo,
I do not believe that there is a canister on the Western knob of West Peak Scar. The elevation is a matter of contention (similar to Elephant). As far as I was concerned, someone a heck of a lot more experienced than me decided that the Eastern knob of West Peak was the summit, so that's where I headed to. (That sounds so confusing!)

For my money: you found the canister, you found the summit.

Thanks SK, it's a relief:) I asked this question because

1- I read several reports including one where it was written "we found the canisters on both false and true peaks"
2- My GPS, while I was at the canister, indicated me .12 miles further for the summit (probably I had the West knob coordinates)

But anyway, you're right, I think that if you find a canister with Scar Ridge written on, you're there;)