"official" start of the winter season

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HockeyPuck

Reaction score
According to the US Naval Observatory winter officially starts at 12:04 PM Universal Time on the 21st of December. I'm assuming universal time is equal to GMT.

Converting this to EST (GMT -5) equates to 7:04 AM EST and confirms the official winter start time on the amc4000footer.org website.

My question is related to a little asterics regarding daylight savings time and the note on the AMC 4000 footer website. Note: starting in 2007 Daylight Savings Time will begin during the winter! This means that all equinox times will have to be converted to EDT (UT - 4 hours) not EST.

Does this mean that the actual start of the winter season is 8:04 AM as opposed to the published 7:04 AM suggested time? Perhaps I'm doing too many conversions?

Thanks in advance.

My question is related to a little asterics regarding daylight savings time and the note on the AMC 4000 footer website. Note: starting in 2007 Daylight Savings Time will begin during the winter! This means that all equinox times will have to be converted to EDT (UT - 4 hours) not EST.

Does this mean that the actual start of the winter season is 8:04 AM as opposed to the published 7:04 AM suggested time? Perhaps I'm doing too many conversions?

Thanks in advance.
No. the change will affect the END of winter, not the start, since the change comes before the Spring equinox.