Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Once in a lifetime visit

Once in a lifetime visit

Someone on another thread raised an interesting point: the possibility that one will only visit a certain hiking destination once in a lifetime. In this case, the destination was the Grand Canyon but it could be the Rockies, Mt. Ranier, Peru, Nepal, Scottish Highlands and on & on.

The possibility of once in a lifetime has different rationales as one ages (at least for me). In my twenties, vacation time and $$$$ were the limitations, in my thirties family responsibilities took precedence, tuition was the theme of my forties and creaky knees is an issue now.

What do others consider to be Destinations of a Lifetime?

greenland

i have always wanted to spend some time backpacking in greenland.
    for no particular reason other than greenland always interested me since childhood. maybee someday, i hope!!!

Perhaps the Tatras of Poland. I was in Zakopane as a teenager and was blown away. Someday, I'd like to go back to get into the mountains. So I guess that would kind of be "twice in a lifetime."

Quote Originally Posted by Puma concolor View Post
    Perhaps the Tatras of Poland.
    I was thinking the same, sort of. This park is mostly in Slovakia.

I've always wanted to hike in eastern Europe.
    Yarr!!!

There are so many places in the US I haven't seen, but for a once in a lifetime trip it would have to be Bhutan. It has fascinated me from a cultural and natural history standpoint since I was an undergrad.
    Chris

In this crowded world, our sense of coexistence with wilderness life can be enforced by heights that are hard to climb. --- John Hay

Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    Someone on another thread raised an interesting point: the possibility that one will only visit a certain hiking destination once in a lifetime. In this case, the destination was the Grand Canyon but it could be the Rockies, Mt. Ranier, Peru, Nepal, Scottish Highlands and on & on.

The possibility of once in a lifetime has different rationales as one ages (at least for me). In my twenties, vacation time and $$$$ were the limitations, in my thirties family responsibilities took precedence, tuition was the theme of my forties and creaky knees is an issue now.

What do others consider to be Destinations of a Lifetime?
    When you stop to think about it, most of the places you visit which are any distance from your home are "Once in a lifetime destinations" as it's unlikely you'll visit them again. I try not to frame adventures/trips in that way because there's a big letdown when you get home. What I have learned is to better take advantage of opportunities when they present themselves. For example - when I was in my twenties and drafted into the service, the military stationed me in CA. I saw some of the wonders of the state, but my attitude was "there's no rush, I'm young, etc" so didn't see as much as I easily could have. So now, when I'm traveling and near a national park, beautiful vista, etc, I'm far more likely to stop and experience it.

I have lots of places I hope to see some day - Northern Ireland, the Hebrides, Patagonia, Mongolia, the countries in northern Europe, especially those behind the Iron Curtain.

Alaska...Alaska.....Alaska!!!

Anywhere and everywhere. Although I guess I would reserve the "destinations of a lifetime" label for trips I consider a little more "exotic" or likely to only happen once. Right now tops on my list is Nepal. It will be a long time before we get there. We were lucky though and made some other big trips before Eleanor was born.
    Last edited by pudgy_groundhog; 12-17-2008 at 09:57 AM.

Hiking the Inca trail to Machu Picchu.
    What do you mean he don't eat no meat? Ok, I'll do lamb.

I think of this two ways: one, destinations that if one goes, it'll probably be once. Trekking in Nepal would probably be that for me.

The other sense is a "bucket list": places everyone should try to get once in their life. I suppose that's another thread, so I'll go start it

I've always wanted to backpack in Iceland. Come to think of it, Ireland would be nice too, and it's only one letter different than Iceland!
    AMC Adopt-A-Trail Program Region Leader Emeritus: Pemigewasset 1993-2005 Southern Presidentials 2005-2017
    Trail Adopter: Webster Cliff Trail

New Zealand, someday.

Also Patagonia, though we will fulfill that dream next month.
    Dick

Quote Originally Posted by pudgy_groundhog View Post
    Right now tops on my list is Nepal. It will be a long time before we get there.
    That would be mine too pudgy!!!!!. I think I will get there, but it may be a few years. No interest in everest really, but I do see myself climbing a lower "trekking peak" as well as treking around the area.

The Karakoram would also be really cool to see that whole area around K2 and G2...

Once my son is just a little older, we plan to visit a national park our west each year.

Quote Originally Posted by rhihn View Post
    Also Patagonia, though we will fulfill that dream next month.
    Very jealous. That is my big fantasy. Great time of year for it too.

On another note, thinking of all the places I have been to, the one place I would love to go back multiple times would be the Canadian Rockies. That is my favorite place and a dream retirement location. . .

Aviarome

Quote Originally Posted by wardsgirl View Post
    I've always wanted to backpack in Iceland. Come to think of it, Ireland would be nice too, and it's only one letter different than Iceland!
    Iceland is absolutely amazing! I went on a whim,back in 1979 before it became a tourist destination.

Standing out in the geiser fields,air temps in the 40's but the ground is too hot to touch,geisers roaring to life at random all around you.

My once in a lifetime would probably be a kayak/backpack trip in Sogn og Fiordane in Norway.

My other goal is not as adventurous,but it's on the "absolutely will do" list.
    We will spend the winters on our sail boat in Exuma. A little closer every day....