Once in a lifetime visit

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duane

Reaction score
Someone on another thread raised an interesting point: the possibility that one will only visit a certain hiking destination once in a lifetime. In this case, the destination was the Grand Canyon but it could be the Rockies, Mt. Ranier, Peru, Nepal, Scottish Highlands and on & on.

The possibility of once in a lifetime has different rationales as one ages (at least for me). In my twenties, vacation time and $$$$ were the limitations, in my thirties family responsibilities took precedence, tuition was the theme of my forties and creaky knees is an issue now.

What do others consider to be Destinations of a Lifetime?

greenland

i have always wanted to spend some time backpacking in greenland.
for no particular reason other than greenland always interested me since childhood. maybee someday, i hope!!!

Perhaps the Tatras of Poland. I was in Zakopane as a teenager and was blown away. Someday, I'd like to go back to get into the mountains. So I guess that would kind of be "twice in a lifetime." :)

There are so many places in the US I haven't seen, but for a once in a lifetime trip it would have to be Bhutan. It has fascinated me from a cultural and natural history standpoint since I was an undergrad.

Someone on another thread raised an interesting point: the possibility that one will only visit a certain hiking destination once in a lifetime. In this case, the destination was the Grand Canyon but it could be the Rockies, Mt. Ranier, Peru, Nepal, Scottish Highlands and on & on.

The possibility of once in a lifetime has different rationales as one ages (at least for me). In my twenties, vacation time and $$$$ were the limitations, in my thirties family responsibilities took precedence, tuition was the theme of my forties and creaky knees is an issue now.

What do others consider to be Destinations of a Lifetime?

When you stop to think about it, most of the places you visit which are any distance from your home are "Once in a lifetime destinations" as it's unlikely you'll visit them again. I try not to frame adventures/trips in that way because there's a big letdown when you get home. What I have learned is to better take advantage of opportunities when they present themselves. For example - when I was in my twenties and drafted into the service, the military stationed me in CA. I saw some of the wonders of the state, but my attitude was "there's no rush, I'm young, etc" so didn't see as much as I easily could have. So now, when I'm traveling and near a national park, beautiful vista, etc, I'm far more likely to stop and experience it.

I have lots of places I hope to see some day - Northern Ireland, the Hebrides, Patagonia, Mongolia, the countries in northern Europe, especially those behind the Iron Curtain.

Anywhere and everywhere. :p Although I guess I would reserve the "destinations of a lifetime" label for trips I consider a little more "exotic" or likely to only happen once. Right now tops on my list is Nepal. It will be a long time before we get there. We were lucky though and made some other big trips before Eleanor was born.

Last edited:
I think of this two ways: one, destinations that if one goes, it'll probably be once. Trekking in Nepal would probably be that for me.

The other sense is a "bucket list": places everyone should try to get once in their life. I suppose that's another thread, so I'll go start it :)

I've always wanted to backpack in Iceland. Come to think of it, Ireland would be nice too, and it's only one letter different than Iceland!

Right now tops on my list is Nepal. It will be a long time before we get there.

That would be mine too pudgy!!!!!. I think I will get there, but it may be a few years. No interest in everest really, but I do see myself climbing a lower "trekking peak" as well as treking around the area.

The Karakoram would also be really cool to see that whole area around K2 and G2...

Once my son is just a little older, we plan to visit a national park our west each year.

Also Patagonia, though we will fulfill that dream next month.

Very jealous. That is my big fantasy. Great time of year for it too.

On another note, thinking of all the places I have been to, the one place I would love to go back multiple times would be the Canadian Rockies. That is my favorite place and a dream retirement location. . .

Aviarome

I've always wanted to backpack in Iceland. Come to think of it, Ireland would be nice too, and it's only one letter different than Iceland!

Iceland is absolutely amazing! I went on a whim,back in 1979 before it became a tourist destination.

Standing out in the geiser fields,air temps in the 40's but the ground is too hot to touch,geisers roaring to life at random all around you.

My once in a lifetime would probably be a kayak/backpack trip in Sogn og Fiordane in Norway.

My other goal is not as adventurous,but it's on the "absolutely will do" list.
We will spend the winters on our sail boat in Exuma. A little closer every day....

A few years ago I found myself feeling quite down because a) I was single and didn't want to be and b) I had no one to travel with and lots of places I wanted to go. All of my friends were getting married and having families, and none of them liked to do the same kind of traveling that I prefer anyway. On my "list" were several destinations that I was saving until I had someone special to share the experience with...but that person never seemed to materialize and time was a-wasting. So at some point I decided that I needed to really embrace the fact that I was on my own and could go anywhere and do anything I wanted to do. I promised myself that I would take one big and one small trip each year. I would travel alone or, if I wanted to, I'd find an organized group to join. And I would start with those fantastic "once in a lifetime" places that I had been saving to visit with that elusive someone. Best decision I ever made - a real life-changer.

Because of that decision, I've been fortunate enough to see (and hike in) many of the places mentioned in this and the other related thread. Patagonia, New Zealand, Iceland, Nepal, Alaska, Wales, the Canadian Rockies, the Scottish highlands. So many wonderful memories, and so many special natural places.

This thread has given me some good ideas. Maybe I'll add a few things to my list. Here are a few places on there right now:

I want to travel along the Silk Road in central Asia. I'd like to hike in Tasmania and dive at the Great Barrier Reef. I'd like to go to Mongolia, but I'm a little worried about that yak milk tea bit. I haven't been to Machu Picchu yet, but intend to go. I am probably going to hike in the Dolomites this summer. I need to get to Africa, but how to figure out where to go first? Namibia maybe?

I really hope everone gets to visit their must-see places.

Last edited:
New Zealand, someday.

Also Patagonia, though we will fulfill that dream next month.
Awesome. We spent three weeks in Patagonia last year (Torres del Paine and Fitzroy) and it was our favorite vacation (more so than New Zealand, but that one was slightly tarnished due to bum weather). You'll have a fantastic time!

the deli at the end of the road... I mean, I've lived in my house since the start or 2006 and I have yet to step foot at the nice deli that is on the end of my street... 2 years, not even once!!! It's 200ft down the road, I have to go past it every day... Sheesh!

jay