Once in a lifetime visit

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once my son is just a little older, we plan to visit a national park our west each year.

My parents did this with us when we were kids...long driving/camping vacations, mostly to visit the national parks. Didn't appreciate it much then, but sure do now. And it gave me the travel bug, for sure!

the deli at the end of the road... I mean, I've lived in my house since the start or 2006 and I have yet to step foot at the nice deli that is on the end of my street... 2 years, not even once!!! It's 200ft down the road, I have to go past it every day... Sheesh!

jay

Way to set stretch goals Jay...:D

Maybe they deliver...

My parents did this with us when we were kids...long driving/camping vacations, mostly to visit the national parks. Didn't appreciate it much then, but sure do now. And it gave me the travel bug, for sure!

we drove cross country a couple times in a camper when i was younger, i was young and didnt really appreciate it either :(

we drove cross country a couple times in a camper when i was younger, i was young and didnt really appreciate it either :(

What's amazing is that now we'd probably pay for the same trips that drove us crazy as kids. My family moved from one coast to the other twice, and took two weeks driving each time...sadly, I remember very little of it.

Way to set stretch goals Jay...:D

Maybe they deliver...

Not ONCE!!!!! I don't think they deliver though... It is the happening place by me though, it is like the only business there and from what I gather, all the townsfolk hang out there, mayors and all.

Jay

IMO, it would be wonderful to spend a significant amount of time in New Zealand! You have both majestic mountains, and clear waters. You could mountain climb, ski, kayak, swim, backpack and more, all in one small country. What a trip!

Anywhere there are some woods...(Alaska would be top on my list...although Olympus Mons may be a hot spot in a few years:p)

I've done Macchu Picchu, several Rockies trips, Grand Canyon down and back, and New Zealand and oddly enough... my favorite "epic" backpack was through the Needles in Canyonlands, UT. The landscape, the solitude, the stillness, the stars, the open sky. (Also, I had a fantastic time with the two friends I traveled with, a factor which oh-so-often outweighs the destination.)

If I could pick up and go right now, I think it would be to the Maze, or something involving the slot canyons in Grand Staircase-Escalante...

Banff, the YT, the Swiss Alps, Alaska, Nepal, the dunes of UAE...

Tatras

I've done the Tatras in Slovakia. Great time hiking, best trip was up to Mt.Krivan. Also in Slovakia a multi day backpacking trip is on a mountain range called Rohace.

Great choices here - Iceland, Greenland, Alaska, etc. - but my choice is Antarctica. But it's so friggin expensive to get there....

bob

Suprised noone has said my dream location to explore on foot... Baffin Island!

Anybody been?

Namibia maybe?

Namibia is definitely on my Top Ten list. Spent three weeks there living out of rental car in July 1999. Lots of European tourists, but few Westerners. Over three days in Etosha National Park, we saw everything except for the large cats. Hiked the tallest sand dunes on the planet for sunrise at Sossuvlei. Watched out for some of the most poisonous snakes anywhere in the Naukluft Mountains. We imagined being grounded on a wrecked ship on the Skeleton Coast. Examined the Hoba nickel meteorite, the world's largest at 60 tons. Our Kilimanjaro hike a couple of weeks later was ok, too, but if one is going to suffer double-overnighter flights to Africa, Namibia is a must visit, IMHO.

When I spent a glacial geology field season in the Dry Valleys of Antarctica as a graduate student, I thought that I would be back there again and again. But, alas, it is beginning to appear that Antarctica may turn out to be a ''one-trip continent" for me, although I have not completely given up my attempts to obtain some funding for a return visit.