Possible Blizzard for Sunday

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattl

Reaction score
Possible Blizzard for Sunday Dec 21, 2008

After most of us deal with todays fun storm of anywhere from 1-12 inches depending on where you live, we have a much more potent storm for Sunday. This is especially true for the White Mountains, like Franconia..:) After most of us just try and cleanup, another is coming up the coast. This storm will develop into a full fledged Nor'easter(on the first day of winter). There will be a strong influx of Gulf and Atlantic moisture so for northern New England from Concord, NH north, it looks like a 10-20 inch snow storm. The 20 inches is for the White Mountains where strong upslope will enhance snow totals. The big story with this storm is the wind and cold, the storm is going to "bomb" off the coast, meaning the pressure is going to rapidly drop down to a 968 storm once it gets to Maine. By Sunday night, winds of 25-50 miles per hour will come in for the valleys, accompanied by temperatures near zero or below, whipping up all of this snow. Think about the snow from this week, today, and then Sunday, with this wind, drifting will be fun with this..For anyone hiking, I do not recommend ANYTHING on Sunday or Monday (Dec 21, 22) above treeline as winds above 5000 feet will be over 80 miles per hour, maybe as high as 130 above 6000. Also temperatures at this alt may get as low as -20 or -30 without windchill. Just a warning. -Mattl

Last edited:
Please, I'm begging you, put dates on these posts. We now have two storm warning threads in two different forums about storms "this weekend" which really encompass two separate weekends.

I don't care as long as there isn't any ice. I'm very tired of ice, and the sound of my generator! Snow I can shovel, just don't say the "I" word! Although the "W" word may be an issue with more trees flying around. AARGH!

I'm a nightwalker (2nd shift) and I can't sleep. So these storms must be affecting the adrenalin.

I'm more excited about today's storm rather than Sunday's. One at a time for me. There will be a thump of 6-10 inches across most of central New Eng and 10-12+ in southern New England, so that is nothing to sneeze at. After today, I can look at Snnday...

Then Sunday is a whole new ballgame, with heavy snow in the interior, and snow to rain along the coast, with something in the middle in between. Which of course doesn't bode well for people without power.

And then there is something coming Christmas Eve....too early to tell if thats rain/ice or snow.

grouseking

Its almost as active/ if not more active than last December, just about a week later.

Getting hit hard right now in southern NH. Snow in December, who would have thought?

I hear there's also a chance of a meteor hitting the earth someday. Just a chance, but probably worth mentioning.... :p

I just came up from Hanover on NH 10 (Conn. River valley). There was an inch or so in Hanover. As I left 10 and headed northwest, gaining about 1000', the temp dropped from 18F to 11F and the snow got much heavier. I'd say there's 3-4" on the ground in Franconia at 1200' now. Just an aperitif, I understand, for Sunday.

Issued at: 3:28 PM EST 12/20/08, expires at: 11:30 PM EST 12/20/08

Winter storm warning in effect from 9 am Sunday to 5 am est monday,
The NWS in gray has issued a winter storm warning for heavy snow, which is in effect from 9 am Sunday to 5 am est Monday. The winter storm watch is no longer in effect.
Look for 10 to 16 inches of new snow with blowing snow reducing visibilities to less than a mile.
Winter storm warning for heavy snow means severe winter weather conditions are expected or occurring. Significant amounts of snow are forecast that will make travel dangerous. Only travel in an emergency. If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food, and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency.

FROM THEWMURCHANNEL: http://www.wmur.com/index.html

Last edited:
In Waterville Valley we have at least 6" of new snow just today. I skied Alpine this morning--almost everything is opened. X-C skied this afternoon on powder. Life is good!
Skibones