MacNaughton via Hunter Pond

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saus #5237

Reaction score
Planning on hiking MacNaughton next Friday via Hunter Pond and was looking for specific information regarding this route. I have some basic information, but any additional information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chris Sausville

Try MacNaughton from the SE via a drainage. From the Wallface lean-to follow the first major drainage you come to toward Indian Pass. this will lead you to the lesser peak of MacNaughton. Follow the second major drainage it will bring you to Wallface Pond. Both are bushwhack routes, and very nice approaches. Not to much to contend with.

The route from Hunter Pond I believe is now pretty much a trail. I've never taken it, but it's become a very popular approach.

Not sure about going up direct from Hunter Pond. However there is a major brook that crosses the trail about half mile beyond Hunter Pond. There is a well defined herd path that heads up from here. This herd path is pretty good for a while until it leads you into the blow down field from hell (This could possibly be the result of incompetent bushwacking which I have been guilty of on more than one occasion). We escaped this by going east up to the ridge where you would presumably end up if you went direct from Hunter Pond. If I were to go from Hunter Pond I would definitely stay high on the ridge.

MacNaughton

I tried this in the winter. The line we took had alot of blowdowns.