Delorme Atlas & Gazetteer

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody had any idea of whether or not Delorme was expected to update any of these in the near future? I ran a simple Amazon search and nothing came up.

Maine (last updated 2007)
New Hampshire (last updated 2005)
Connecticut/Rhode Island (last updated 2007)
Massachusetts (last updated 2004)
Vermont (last updated 2007)

These guides are quite wonderful, but there are many errors that are fixed with each new edition. I own the 2002-2004 editions, but need to obtain the newest version for a project I'm working on.

Anybody with any insider info??? :)

I dont know about updates, but I agree that they are overdue for one. I also wish they'd use the same style guide for their Maine atlas as the one they use for New Hampshire. I find the Maine guide to be very hard to read.

bob

Rumor has it that the new Delorme Maine Gazetteer will be released this month. This version has supposedly been completely re-formatted making it look at bit different from the old style.

Keep an eye out for it.

Bill

The 31st edition of the Maine Atlas & Gazetteer has now been released. For this edition, all maps have been re-formatted and they all have had major updates.

Bill

This version has supposedly been completely re-formatted making it look at bit different from the old style.
:( :( :(

I fell in love with northern New England in part because of the Maine Atlas. I hope they don't use the same format as the other states; I've always thought the Maine Atlas's typography and color scheme looked more tasteful.

I burn through Maine Atlases like firewood on a 40 below night! I use them so much that the covers come off and the pages get ragged--I've probably owned a dozen of them by now. In fact, it's about time for a new one so I'm glad they've just issued one. Will withhold judgment on the new "scheme" until I've seen it.

Factoid that may interest only me and a couple others: When Baxter closed the Nesowadnehunk entrance a few years ago, the atlas showed the road going right up to the park boundary. Then, when a new edition came out, that part of the road had mysteriously disappeared. The road was still there at the time--I checked.

So here's my question: why does the Maine Atlas & Gazetteer continue to have the old cover scheme?

So here's my question: why does the Maine Atlas & Gazetteer continue to have the old cover scheme?
because DeLorme is in Maine and therefore clearly superior to the rest of the country :p or at least unique. I'm sure they've considered standardizing.

(edit: oh, good! they've kept the Maine-style typography/cartography. Again, clearly superior. :D )

I also wish they'd use the same style guide for their Maine atlas as the one they use for New Hampshire. I find the Maine guide to be very hard to read.
I find the maps in NH to be confusing and full of errors - just because a road is shown as a solid line is no indication that you can actually drive on it. I hope they don't use that brand of base map ever again.

I find the maps in NH to be confusing and full of errors - just because a road is shown as a solid line is no indication that you can actually drive on it. I hope they don't use that brand of base map ever again.

All of Delorme's maps are full of errors, but they are really the best thing out there. What they should do is hire a few consultants (i.e. VFTTers :D) to clean things up a bit.

I find the maps in NH to be confusing and full of errors - just because a road is shown as a solid line is no indication that you can actually drive on it.
NY also has many such non-public and closed roads shown as solid lines. Probably the most infamous is the private "Wolf Lake Road" in the Adirondacks (pages 87, 95). Also of note are numerous old carriage roads on the Shawangunk Ridge (page 36, Sam's Point, Minnewaska, Mohonk areas). There are many more such examples in the mountains as well as flat lands of the NY atlas (driver beware). Nonetheless, there is much good info in the NY atlas and all other DeLorme state atlases. I try to never leave home without them.

And if the Delorme Maps identified the locations of everything and were completely error-free, what would be the fun in that? I've gotten so incredibly lost in Maine based on their maps, but it's made for some great adventures.

All of Delorme's maps are full of errors, but they are really the best thing out there. What they should do is hire a few consultants (i.e. VFTTers :D) to clean things up a bit.
The ME book is better than most, because the base map has been in use a long time and a lot of corrections have been made over the years. Any time you switch to a new base map, things that were correct before can become wrong, see the maps in the new WMG for example.

Lots of people send corrections to DeLorme, most get made and some people get paid.

Just took a spin through the new Maine Atlas. It's a HUGE improvement in my opinion. Hopefully updated versions for other states will follow the new formatting.

Still a TON of errors & omissions though :rolleyes: