Thread: Kilkenny Area Logging Controversy

Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)

Kilkenny Area Logging Controversy

The debate centers on whether logging is allowed in "roadless areas," specifically, 313 acres in the Kilkenny Inventoried Roadless Area (2005). This would be part of the larger (1000 acre) Mill Brook logging proposal. Decision is expected Feb. 16, that is, the USFS decision. There may be further "decisions." Not to get into specific politics--let's not go there--but this project was launched under the current administration, I assume, which expires in a few days. I don't know if that will make a difference or whether it could affect decisions retroactively.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
    Here's some beta from the Wilderness Society on the legal background for Roadless Rule issues.

(I will forever smile when I recall the day the federal judge looked up at me and said, "Well, you have the wind in your sail. What does your client want to do?" This right after he saw the USFS internal memo that indicated they hadn't followed NEPA in issuing a logging permit. )
    Last edited by sardog1; 01-06-2009 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Dropped the wrong link into post originally
    sardog1

"Å! kjære Bymann gakk ei stjur og stiv,
    men kom her up og kjenn eit annat Liv!
    kom hit, kom hit, og ver ei daud og lat!
    kom kjenn, hot d'er, som heiter Svevn og Mat,
    og Drykk og Tørste og det heile, som
    er Liv og Helse i ein Hovedsum."

-- Aasmund O. Vinje, "Til Fjells!"

There was a story on NHPR this morning about this. The Sierra Club filed suit to stop it. I can't find a reference on nhpr.org - yet - it might appear later in the day, or you can probably catch it on your evening commute if you are a listener.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Waumbek View Post
    -but this project was launched under the current administration, I assume, which expires in a few days. I don't know if that will make a difference or whether it could affect decisions retroactively.
    Environmentalists Wary of Obama’s Interior Pick - NYTimes.com

“It’s time for a new kind of leadership in Washington that’s committed to using our lands in a responsible way to benefit all our families,” Mr. Obama said. “That means ensuring that even as we are promoting development where it makes sense, we are also fulfilling our obligation to protect our national treasures.”

Change we can Believe in, if we can figure out where he stands on the issue. So lets continue to not turn this political...