Thread: Garfield Road parking closed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Garfield Road parking closed

I hadn't seen this here but apparently the Forest Service not only won't plow the lot at the end of Gale River Road toward Garfield but suggests that hikers not walk it since the bridges are still out.
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/whit...9-Dec-2008.php

Parking at Beaver Brook would make Garfield longer than Carrigain although you can save a mile each way by using the Heritage Trail/snowmobile trail.
    http://vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11956

As near as I can tell there won't be a $500 fine so I bet most hikers will still park at 5 Corners and walk the road.

Quote Originally Posted by RoySwkr View Post
    As near as I can tell there won't be a $500 fine so I bet most hikers will still park at 5 Corners and walk the road.
    Not sure which branch of the road Roy means. The Galehead end is longer than parking at Beaver Brook, and the Garfield end seems, according to the link posted, dangerous:
    Visitors are advised not to travel by foot over the South Gale River Road as fording the multiple river crossings where the bridges are out can be very dangerous in winter conditions!

An unfortunate choice of labels...

My interpretation is the "South Gale River Rd" is the road from the western entrance (Garfield end) and the parking lot in question is at the junction of this road and Rte 3. (The naming is presumably because the western section of the road follows the South Branch of the Gale River. The North Branch of the river parallels the road near the eastern entrance (Galehead end).)

So access this winter is through the Beaver Brook trail system or the east North (east) Gale River Rd.

Five Corners (the junction of Rte 3 and Trudeau Rd) was the traditional parking area for both hikers and snowmobilers before the winter parking lot was put in at the entrance to South Gale River Rd.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Mohamed Ellozy View Post
    Not sure which branch of the road Roy means. The Galehead end is longer than parking at Beaver Brook, and the Garfield end seems, according to the link posted, dangerous:
    I meant the Garfield branch of course.

The FS considers the crossings dangerous because they weren't designed for hikers, but some are small side streams and the largest is the Gale River branch which the Garfield Trail crossed before the new parking lot was built and I've done in winter several times. And I always walked from 5 corners to the road anyway to save $3 :-) If I as to hike Garfield this winter I'd use the Garfield branch again to save 3 miles on the RT

Quote Originally Posted by DougPaul View Post
    An unfortunate choice of labels...

My interpretation is the "South Gale River Rd" is the road from the western entrance (Garfield end) and the parking lot in question is at the junction of this road and Rte 3.
    That's the only lot they plow, I think 5 corners is done by the highway crew.

I think the lot was plowed during hunting season, not sure why they changed their minds.

Quote Originally Posted by RoySwkr View Post
    ... and the largest is the Gale River branch which the Garfield Trail crossed before the new parking lot was built and I've done in winter several times.
    I suspect that the trail was rerouted precisely to avoid that crossing ... I explored the old trail a couple of winters ago and at that time the river was uncrossable (of course, with solid ice bridges it could be a piece of cake).

I, for one, will only do Garfield this winter if I hear that there are solid ice bridges, or if I feel fit enough to do the longer Beaver Brook/Heritage Trail approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohamed Ellozy View Post
    I suspect that the trail was rerouted precisely to avoid that crossing ... I explored the old trail a couple of winters ago and at that time the river was uncrossable (of course, with solid ice bridges it could be a piece of cake).
    I've also done the old route, both back when it was the trail and as an option in winter (with good ice coverage). That crossing is big enough to be rather dangerous if not adequately bridged. The section of trail (old logging or firewarden road?) that parallels the river between the road the crossing is also rather soggy.

Doug