Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garfield Road parking closed

Drove up to Beaer Brook to check it out:

It is plowed.

There is a large sign at the entrance to the trails indicating that hikers should follow the marked trail to the road - 1/2 mile - then follow the road to the regular trailheads.

There is no indication regarding overnight parking for hikers - the normal sign at the entrance indicating that the area is closed from 10 PM to 6 AM is still posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rooney View Post
    It is, by about a mile.
    From the maps it appears to be less than half a mile shorter in each direction.

hiked that way today. the forest service has signs at all the junctions on the ski trail to point the way to gale river road. as of today there is no real differentiation between a snowhoe track and a ski track. it's all sort of a big mess due to the conditions. there is a fee collection tube with envelopes available so i assume they want people to pay who do not have parking passes.

bryan
    "i lifted one foot to cross the other and i felt myself slipping, it was a small mistake, sometimes that's all it takes." - bright eyes

For completeness, let me link to a Trail Conditions report: Garfield from Five Corners (Garfield Trail). About the crossings:
    NOTE: all Bridges OUT (3 of them) on the south road from Rte 3! No signs posted @ road warning of bridge outs. Each bridge requires special route finding to cross the Scarface Brook (really a river)!! Plan for 1.5-2hrs time walk to trailhead from the south road.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohamed Ellozy View Post
    For completeness, let me link to a Trail Conditions report: [url=http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27081]
    Sounds like I was right about people trying it from 5 Corners anyway, the time they took is about the same as from Beaver Brook but it might be quicker now that it's broken out :-)

Wonder what happened to the 8x8 sign B&G reported?

Quote Originally Posted by RoySwkr View Post
    Wonder what happened to the 8x8 sign B&G reported?
    Seems odd. The Trail Conditions report that Mohamed linked too indicated a trip report with more info, but we don't see it.

The sign was fairly sturdy and surviced the high winds up until last weekend, so hard to believe it could have been knocked over. Ditto on signs warning about the bridges being out - they have been up since the flooding that caused the damage.

The big honkin' sign was there this past Sunday, but I have a funny feeling it was at the south/west end of the loop road, not at 5 Corners, where snowmobilers were parked and loading/unloading.

And I think there's some confusion here, too, because the conditions report Mohammed linked to is titled "from 5 corners" but then states they went in "on the south road from Rte 3" ???
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Not to add to the confusion , but isn't " 5 corners " considered the south end of the loop road ? I always called it the west end but I think I was wrong .

Dave
    On a mission

Quote Originally Posted by lattinhill View Post
    Not to add to the confusion , but isn't " 5 corners " considered the south end of the loop road ? I always called it the west end but I think I was wrong .
    No.

Five Corners is the junction of Rte 3 and Trudeau Rd. as shown in the map posted by bobandgeri. The north end (ie east, follows the North Branch of the Gale River) of the loop road comes out here.

Doug
    Last edited by DougPaul; 01-06-2009 at 09:24 AM.