Welcome in winter with clough

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikerDoc

Reaction score
:DThis was a book bushwack to Mt. Clough 3561' on the first day of winter, Dec. 21. Al & I were co-leaders but in fact there were 4 AMC winter leaders on the trip. Although 10 had signed up, only 7 showed up at the parking lot for Glencliff trail because of the weather. We were suited and ready to go by 9:20. The planned route was up the North and South road to the Tunnel Brook trail. We would hike up to about 2200' elevation and then bw due north to the summit ridge. It started snowing just as we left the cars and people wanted to get moving fast because of the cold. There was about a foot of light powdery snow to break and Damon was happy to do most of that work. Unfortuately we lost Scott at the first water crossing. Al had found a tentative snow bridge that everyone was able to get across until Scott lost his balance and put both feet into the water above his boots. He was soaked and cold and wisely decided to go back to the cars and wait for us. We almost lost Damon at the next water crossing but he pulled his boot out before the water got over the top. The trip was fast until we hit the steep part from 2500' to 3000' and then we bogged down. Not everyone was able to participate in trail breaking duties given the depth of snow which was 1' -2' at that point with ice underneath. The wind was howling and we were very glad to be in the trees. There was some discussion at 1 pm about turnaround time but I thought we could make the summit by 2 and Damon thought we could be down off the steep part by 3. We all wanted to be off of the bw before dark. At 3000' the woods opened up with herd paths and we were able to pick up the pace. At just 2, we spotted Marc's sign that he had installed recently along with a new register jar on the summit. Soon everyone gathered around for photos while Damon signed us in. Quick bite and down we went. At the base of the steep part, about 2500', Damon lost our snowshoe prints but because he is a GPS god, he was able to find them again so that Docross could retrieve his trekking poles that he left when we went off the trail into the woods. We had passed the old Sanitorium pond on the way in and Damon knew about a short cut road that led to the Glenncliff Rest Home (TB sanitorium back in the day). We decided to cut off 3/4 mile and all 4 tricky water crossings by going out this way. Only problem was we had to cross a narrow concrete spillway which was icey. The last one to cross was Anita, who while stepping left to avoid some ice, plunged into the water. She was able to scramble out and although she had a complete change of clothes, all she needed was dry gloves. Damon volunteered to break the road out and although Docross put his headlamp on for good luck, we were back at the cars by 4:30 in the dusk. Photos here: http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdoc/Clough?authkey=wiXrstRnBL4&feat=directlink

This was a book bushwack to Mt. Clough 3561' ...The planned route was up the North and South road to the Tunnel Brook trail.
Only problem was we had to cross a narrow concrete spillway which was icey.
Hmm, I thought the standard route was from N-S Rd which I've done 3 times on snowshoes

I think you can avoid the spillway by following a woods road around the pond to the L

The way up N-S road gains you more elevation on the road but the ridge is very thick. The Tunnel Brook way is open woods on the bw but is more elevation gain. The first time I did this on snowshoes I did what you did and went to the height of land on N-S road and followed the ridge because I had gone in that way previously in summer conditions. Wouldn't do it that way again.
You are right about avoiding the spillway. We saw a bridge over the pond inlet and could have gone around but it was longer and unbroken. The spill way was safe if you were attentive.