Anyone read these books?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingfish

Reaction score
Montreal, Qc, Canada Avatar: Top of Gothics, Adk
Hi All,
I had the chance to participate in a usability test for a website and as a gift for my time, I was given a 50$ gift certificate for Amazon. I ordered these books and I was wondering if anyone had read them? Are they any good?

1- Medicine for Mountaineering: & Other Wilderness Activities
2- Backcountry Skiing: Skills for Ski Touring and Ski Mountaineering
3- Climbing: Training for Peak Performance

Cheers and merry christmas to all!

Fish

Hi All,
I had the chance to participate in a usability test for a website and as a gift for my time, I was given a 50$ gift certificate for Amazon. I ordered these books and I was wondering if anyone had read them? Are they any good?

2- Backcountry Skiing: Skills for Ski Touring and Ski Mountaineering
3- Climbing: Training for Peak Performance

Cheers and merry christmas to all!

Fish

I have read Climbing: Training for Peak Performance. It goes very in-depth into various exercises, rest, concepts on physical training, and nutrition, and . I also like how it address the mental aspect of climbing itself. The extent of information it covers is very broad, and covers a wide range of information, beyond simply the training aspect. Here's something you can check out, if you want to read pretty much the entire book: http://books.google.com/books?id=J2...a=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result#PPP1,M1

Fish

Q: "What do you do if you're 25 miles into the backcountry and a member of your hiking party develops appendicitis? Or if you're nearing the summit of a 14,000-foot peak and your climbing partner suffers a ruptured cornea from the altitude? If you thought ahead, you'd pull out your copy of Medicine for Mountaineering." :eek:

A: I doubt I'd do an appendectomy or perform emergency eye surgery.

I'm sure there's a bunch of good info in this one, but the thought of referring to a book on medical emergencies during one does not strike me as the best course of action. I'd sooner re-take a WFR course and practice evac. Read the Disclaimer. IMHO if you plan to actually use this book in the field you will probably do more harm than good. Other than that, it's so much pack weight.