Ammo Trail Access to Mt Washington

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p2piper

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if Base Road to Marshfield Station is plowed/open? The WMNF Forest Road Status site shows it as closed - it also states that the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail Head Parking is closed. Is there any access to Washington from the west in winter?

P.S. I did search because I thought there was a discussion about this earlier in the Fall but found nothing.

Thanks for any info.

p2

someone at the beer night was saying that it will be open this winter (the road not the cog) - but thats complete hearsay -but might be worth exploring.

We were there on Thanksgiving and took a drive up to the base station. The road was plowed as was the parking lot. It was staked for plowing which made us think that the road will be plowed, possibly for safety? There is a Trail Condition posted for a hike via the Ammo trail on 12/4 that doesn't mention the road being closed. We will be up there on Xmas and will check it out if somebody doesn't confirm the status before then.

When were there the upper parking area next to the base build was plowed. We're planning on checking it out tomorrow.

Thanks...let us know if they have a special spot for hikers to park or we should be letting someone know that you are hiking. Would be nice to know what local protocol might be this year.

Cecked it out today - the road is plowed all the way to the station. The lower and upper lots are both plowed. No signage regarding parking.