Thread: Ammo Trail Access to Mt Washington

Ammo Trail Access to Mt Washington

Can anyone tell me if Base Road to Marshfield Station is plowed/open? The WMNF Forest Road Status site shows it as closed - it also states that the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail Head Parking is closed. Is there any access to Washington from the west in winter?

P.S. I did search because I thought there was a discussion about this earlier in the Fall but found nothing.

Thanks for any info.

p2

If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
    The thread you're thinking of is Cog railway closed this winter. nartreb reported therein a phone conversation confirming the season-long closure of the Base Road.
    sardog1

"Å! kjære Bymann gakk ei stjur og stiv,
    men kom her up og kjenn eit annat Liv!
    kom hit, kom hit, og ver ei daud og lat!
    kom kjenn, hot d'er, som heiter Svevn og Mat,
    og Drykk og Tørste og det heile, som
    er Liv og Helse i ein Hovedsum."

-- Aasmund O. Vinje, "Til Fjells!"

someone at the beer night was saying that it will be open this winter (the road not the cog) - but thats complete hearsay -but might be worth exploring.

We were there on Thanksgiving and took a drive up to the base station. The road was plowed as was the parking lot. It was staked for plowing which made us think that the road will be plowed, possibly for safety? There is a Trail Condition posted for a hike via the Ammo trail on 12/4 that doesn't mention the road being closed. We will be up there on Xmas and will check it out if somebody doesn't confirm the status before then.

How about parking?
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    How about parking?
    When were there the upper parking area next to the base build was plowed. We're planning on checking it out tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by bobandgeri View Post
    When were there the upper parking area next to the base build was plowed. We're planning on checking it out tomorrow.
    Thanks...let us know if they have a special spot for hikers to park or we should be letting someone know that you are hiking. Would be nice to know what local protocol might be this year.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Cecked it out today - the road is plowed all the way to the station. The lower and upper lots are both plowed. No signage regarding parking.

Great! Thanks for the info B&G!
    But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.

http://www.onchristspath.com/4Kpage.html