British Columbia

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghassert

Reaction score
Matawan, NJ Avatar:Harriman Stae Park, NY
Hi,

Next month I plan on doing some driving in BC. I plan on starting from Vancouver, heading towards Banff, continuing on to Jasper and from there heading back to Vancouver. I'll have about 7 to 8 days to accomplish this. I've got the BC Atlas and other literature.

My problem is that there seems like so much to see and do, (Revelstock National Park, Robson Provincial Park, Glacier National Park, and numerous provincial parks in between), and I'd like to get some day hikes in on the side. I'll be travellling with my GF who isn't a big hiking fan.

It isn't set in stone that I need to go to Banff or Jasper, I'd just like to be able to do the most with my time there and I'd like to stay on main roads or at least very passable.

Has anyone here ever done anything like this ? I'm open to all suggestions. BTW, starting in Vancouver is a must, it's where my GF lives and since she's got the car, that's where we need to start.

Thanks,

Glenn

Click on the gallery button below and check out my Canadian Rockies photo gallery to see some pix from different areas around there.

I highly recommend the book "Dont waste your time in the Canadian Rockies". Awesome guide book for hiking.

If your G doesn't hike then Revelstoke is ok because you can drive up it. It kind of pales in comparison to Banff and Jasper though. If you want to keep the hiking to a minimum and still see the sights, then I'd suggest sticking to the tourist spots like Banff, Lake Louise, Yoho, Col. Ice. Parkway, and Jasper.

Do the short hikes like the tea hut at lake louise, and dont miss Parker Ridge and Wilcox pass on the parkway near the athabasca glacier info center. If you can drop your G off in Banff for the afternoon, do the 12 mile loop through paradise valley - awesome!

Been there twice, can't wait to go back....

- d

I guess the challenge is to build a lot of variety in, so your lady friend is rewarded with non-hiking adventures for the hiking she does consent to do.

Some non-hiking thrills:

1. Hot springs at Banff.
2. Gondolas at Banff or Lake Louise.
3. Tractor ride on glacier, Columbia Icefields.
4. Boat tour, Maligne Lake, Jasper.
5. Canoeing, Moraine Lake
6. White water rafting, Banff.
7. Gourmet dinner, Post Hotel, Lake Louise.
8. Helitouring. Canmore??
9. Buffalo paddock, Banff.
10. Listening to the alpenhorn, Lake Louise.

Great day hikes facilitated by bus ride on private road to trailhead:

1. Sunshine Meadows, between Banff and Lake Louise. Bus takes you up to base lodge situated right on continental divide. Magnificent hikes, mostly above treeline, branch in all directions. For some reason, this area was not glaciated. Rolling meadows filled with wildflowers spread everywhere. Great views. One of the least known but most beautiful hiking destinations in the Canada Rockies. Inquire at Banff ranger station for info about bus. PS - Bus takes you back down at end of day.
2. Lake O'Hara area, Yoho. An easy day hike takes you close to the continental divide.

A few truly wonderful day hikes (some may be closed due to grizzly presence). This list is similar to Darren's (for whom I provided a bit of mentoring, if my memory is correct).

1. Moraine Lake to Larch Valley, near Lake Louise.
2. Paradise Valley loop, near Lake Louise.
3. Wilcox Pass, near Columbia Icefields (watch for bighorns).
4. Helen Lake, Bow Summit Area, Banff.
5. Lake Agnes or Plain of the Six Glaciers teahouse hike, Lake Louise.

I, too, highly recommend, "Don't Waste Your Time in the Canada Rockies."

Thanks, Whoops...

Thanks for all the suggestions, I jusr re-read my post and it seems that I forgot to mention one small point, I've been to Banff, about 4 years ago. As a matter of fact, my avatar is from the tractor ride on the glacier on the Icefields parkway.

While we were there we also visited Lake Louise.

Darren,

From what I can tell, the hike to the Tea Hut is pretty easy, do they actually serve tea there now ? That would be a way to convince the GF to take a hike. I would also like to hike up to Moraine Lake from there, how is that hike ? Also, I looked at Amazon for the book "Dont waste your time in the Canadian Rockies" and there is a 1 to 2 month wait for it. Do you know where I might be able to order it for a July trip ?

We also did the gondola ride up Sulfer Mt. and soaked in Banff hot springs.

I guess what I was hoping for with this post was suggestions for stops along the way to Banff and on the way back from Jasper.

Revelstock looks good, has anyone been to Mt Robson park ? or Glacier park ?

Peter mentioned canoeing on Moraine lake, so I'm assuming that it's a short hike up and we can rent them there ?

Ridgerunner,

We also made a quick stop in Yoho when we were there and walked to Emerald lake. Do you have any suggestions for short hikes there ?

And finally:

When we were there, I saw all the warnings of grizzlies and also noticed the trail closings because of them. This is what I'm worried about most. Is there anything special you do while hiking in Grizzly territory ? Sing loud, yell a lot or carry bells ? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Sorry for the long post, but I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks,

Glenn

Yoho

Emerald Lake Circuit:

A short but interesting lakeside hike that the family can take is the Emerald Lake Circuit. It is only 5 km (3.1 mi.) long and can be easily done in about an hour and a half. This hiking trail offers a bit of everything, views of the majestic mountains, the beautiful glacier feed Emerald Lake, a variety of birds and vegetation. The trailhead at the parking lot at the end of Emerald Lake Road is also the route for hikes to Burgess Pass, Yoho Lake and the Emerald Basin. Hike clockwise from the parking lot and stay on the trail that is closest to the lake. The other trail is for horse backing riding. Along the trail, signs that provide
information, are an added attraction that helps make this hike extra special. When hiking on the west side of the lake, look for the many wild orchids, June and July are the best times to view these rare and splendid flowers. When reaching the east end of the lake, the vegetation changes to forests of hemlock, cedar and devil's club.

Yoho Lake from Emerald Lake:

At the 1.4 km mark on the Emerald Lake Circuit, the trail to Yoho Lake heads away from the lake going up through a valley. The hike starts as a gentle hill climb but the steepness increases near Yoho Pass. Looking back the view includes Emerald Lake and the Van Horne Range. On reaching the pass, the trail makes its way down to Yoho Lake and an excellent view of Mt. Wapta. The hike to Yoho Lake is only 8 km (5 mi.) and should only take about three hours. Nevertheless, it does get a bit steep, so keep this factor in mind.

Teahouses: There are two of them, Plain of the Six Glaciers and Lake Agnes. Both serve excellent refreshments. For hours of service, check at ranger station.

Canoeing at Moraine Lake: I suggest you NOT hike to Moraine Lake from Lake Louise. Few rewards. Better to drive by car. The canoeing is extraordinary at Moraine, given the scenery and deep blue green of the lake itself.

Moraine Lake Vicinity Hike: The hike to Larch Valley is just about everybody's favorite. Unfortunately, the trail is often closed because of grizzlies.

Grizzlies: I recommend you read "Bear Attacks and How to Avoid Them," (by Herrera ?). Highly used trails (e.g. teahouse routes) have very low probability of bear encounter. Bear sightings are recorded at Banff and Lake Louise ranger stations. There you'll find the current list of trails with bear warnings or bear closures. Generally speaking, if you give bears sufficient advance notice of your presence, they'll clear out of your way. Bear bells are ridiculously inadequate in this respect. A loud whistle is much better. The rangers can offer further guidance for you. If its any comfort to you, I have hiked extensively in all 4 contiguous Canada Rockies National Parks, and I have never encountered a grizzly. That includes hikes in areas where grizzlies had been seen and one hike on a trail (Paradise Valley) that was soon thereafter closed because of a problematical grizzly. But I do use that police whistle wherever common sense dictates, meaning often.

Yoho: If you've never seen Takakaw Falls, its worth the drive. The Lake O'Hara area also has some magnificent hikes. You must catch the morning bus in.

"Don't Waste Your Time in the Canada Rockies" - Probably purchasable most anywhere in the parks themselves.

Dining: If you're not on a tight budget, treat your lady friend to dinner at the Post Hotel in Lake Louise. She'll love you for it. Reservation essential. (ps - This is where my wife and I stay on every visit to Banff/Yoho.)

My all-time greatest day hike: Sunshine Meadows (Banff), the loops around Grizzly and neighboring lakes. We caught this at the peak of the wildflower bloom in July. Otherworldly, to-die-for experience. I had never encountered anything like this before. And its a relatively easy hike (the bus in does the climbing - see my previous post).

Regards,

Peter Miller

Just Returned

Well, I just returned from my trip. Had a great time, but next time I'm flying to Calgary. Too much driving from Vancouver, even though it was a great and very scenic drive.

I'll try and post a trip report later, but don't have the time right now. I have posted some pictures for your enjoyment. You can see them here:

http://community.webshots.com/user/ghassert

Pretty interesting contrast to Darrens photos of Moraine Lake, we were both there in July, but almost no snow on the surrounding mountains compared to his trip.

Well, enjoy the photos.

Glenn

Peter Miller said:
Grizzlies: I recommend you read "Bear Attacks and How to Avoid Them," (by Herrera ?).

It's Stephen Herrero, Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance, and he da man when it comes to this stuff. "This stuff" includes both the western brown/grizzly and the damn-near-everywhere black. The book will teach you the different reasons for bear attacks, how to prevent them, and how to deal with them when they happen. A lot of other stuff published on the subject is chest-thumping B.S. Herrero has made a career as a wildlife biologist of studying bear behavior, of helping bears and people live near each other, and of investigating the causes when things go wrong.

For any other folks interested in "Super Natural British Columbia," I recommend taking a close look at the provincial parks. Many of them are spectacular, and they're less likely to draw hordes from south of the border (i.e., the 49th parallel) than the Canadian national parks.