FYI: Crawford Path Trailhead Parking Lot (23-Dec-2008)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Today (23-Dec), at about 2:30 PM, I drove by the entrance to the Crawford Path trailhead parking lot on Mt. Clinton Road (Rt. 302 intersection near the Highland Center). I was surprised to see that the road to the trailhead parking lot was NOT plowed.

Since the Forest Service is responsible for plowing the road to the lot and the lot itself, I called the Pemigewasset Ranger office. I was told that their snow plow is temporarily out of service. They hope to have the plow back in service within a day or two, at which time the road and lot will be plowed.
100_0581.JPG

Last edited:
I assume you then took out your shovel and cleared it for us? :)
In a word “No”!
BUT . . . hmmm! Jeremy, you might be onto something there! Maybe a couple VFTT folks who have a snowblade on their pickup truck could “break-trail” (so to speak).
It would give a whole new meaning to breaking-trail, and make one heck of a Trip Report!:rolleyes::D

As of this morning, still not plowed.
Thanks for the update, Jeremy! I was hoping someone might drive by there and post the current status of the road.

So, it’s looking like it will be Friday (at the earliest) before Mt. Clinton Rd trailhead parking is available for the Crawford Path. Unless the Forest Service’s snowplow has been fixed, and then they have some holiday spirit and plow things out tomorrow on Christmas Day!:)

still not plowed

The parking lot was still not plowed @ 4:00 PM yesterday and with rain and freezing temps it could be unplowed for a while- The parking area in front of Saco Lake is plowed but it is a bit of a walk to Crawford TH. BTW- Crawford path is well broken out and consolidated at least up to 3,200 ft (went for a short walk yesterday) and likely up to Pierce-

The parking area in front of Saco Lake is plowed but it is a bit of a walk to Crawford TH.
If you use the old Crawford Path it's about the same distance as from the new lot and you save $3. But that lot doesn't have anything like the necessary capacity for a nice day.

Mt. Clinton Road entrance remained unplowed today (Friday, 3:30 p.m.), so one can probably safely assume it will remain that way through the weekend. It looked to me as though CP hikers were parking near the entrance to the Highland Center as there was a ring of cars there, and only one near the Webster-Jackson trailhead.

It was unplowed on Saturday also. (12/27) I had breakfast at the HC & asked them if they had a preference on where I should park for hiking Pierce. Since I was day-hiking, they let me park in their lot.

I have a feeling that will not be the normal procedure, especially if they have an activity & they are full. Other option if they don't plow it would be the Webster Jackson lot.

As of today (1/3), the parking lot *is* plowed.