Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liberty and Flume on the 26th

Liberty and Flume on the 26th

A few people have contacted me expressing interest in this hike, so I've decided to make things a little more formal and put together an open call.

Start Time: 8:00am - Whitehouse Trailhead parking area (north of the FVC is where the Whitehouse Trail starts). Please be sure to arrive a few minutes early. I intend to leave right at 8!

Route: Liberty Spring Trail/Franconia Ridge Trail rt

I am heading north very early tomorrow morning, and will therefore have limited access to the internet for most, if not all, of the day. This means that I will not be able to update this thread last-minute if plans change. If you're thinking of joining us but still don't know for certain, I have no problems at all sending out my cell # - just shoot me a PM.

Post back if interested! Friday is shaping up to be a fantastic day and it should be a ton of fun.
    Last edited by LRiz; 12-25-2008 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Updated with final plans
    Blog | Responsible Energy Action | Trail adopter for the WESTSIDE

You might want to park at the Whitehouse parking lot instead of the FVC because it is a shorter hike to the Liberty/Flume trailhead. It is the next parking lot after the FVC heading north on rt.3. You park and do a walk in the woods for .6 and then follow the bike path north to the trailhead. Have fun, it is a great hike. Whitehouse is between FVC and the Basin.
    What do you mean he don't eat no meat? Ok, I'll do lamb.

The advantage of the Visitor Center start is that the road is easier (and faster) to hike than the Whitehouse Trail The advantage of the Whitehouse trailhead is that it saves a (very) few tenths of a mile.

For the best of both worlds start at the Whitehouse trailhead and take the trail that leaves the southern end of the parking lot to the bike path/snowmobile trail.

Goffstown NH, Avatar:Sending out praise for the Red, White and Blue
    We will wave to ya from just up the ridge! If you see idiots in nose glasses on Lincoln or Lafayette then you know it is us.

Brian
    Adopter: Wildcat Ridge Trail from Rt.16 to Wildcat "D". If you have any issues please contact me!

Thanks for the advice! I'll update my original post accordingly.

Have fun on Lincoln/Lafayette, Brian. I'll be sure to wave to you guys as well...
    Blog | Responsible Energy Action | Trail adopter for the WESTSIDE

Why not hike the entire ridge to Liberty and say hello in person!

Merry Xmas!

Quote Originally Posted by NewHampshire View Post
    We will wave to ya from just up the ridge! If you see idiots in nose glasses on Lincoln or Lafayette then you know it is us.

Brian

Count me in as a definite maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by bobandgeri View Post
    Why not hike the entire ridge to Liberty and say hello in person!

Merry Xmas!
    Because I am not the one doing the driving up there, and I doubt Steve would be interested in that .

Brian
    Adopter: Wildcat Ridge Trail from Rt.16 to Wildcat "D". If you have any issues please contact me!

Quote Originally Posted by NewHampshire View Post
    Because I am not the one doing the driving up there, and I doubt Steve would be interested in that .

Brian
    I'm game if you're the one breaking trail.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHiker View Post
    I realize that just because there isnít a report posted doesnít mean it didnít happen. ButÖ

On December 11 when I hiked through the area there was no sign of traffic at all on the FRT north of the junction with the Liberty Spring Trail. I have seen no reports posted to indicate anybody has hiked that section of trail. There was a fair amount of snow there on the 11th. I heard the area got hit with a pretty good storm within the last week.

You may want to bring a few friends.

I'm in, with OldMan

The Whitehouse parking area is off the parkway? Or is it really off route 3 (to the east of the parkway)? I've only gone from the FVC.

(Looking on a different map, it looks like exit 34A, past the FVC and into the next area)

If you want to carpool, we can meet in Bedford (at Macy's) or in Concord (Einstein Brothers or the bus terminal/Park-And-Ride.) PM me if interested. I've got OldMan Ed already, so one (two if small) spaces available.

I'd be willing/interested in going up Liberty Springs and out Osseo if people want.

Tim
    Last edited by bikehikeskifish; 12-25-2008 at 08:46 AM.
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHiker View Post
    Russ is the one running marathons, make HIM do it

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    I'm in, with OldMan

The Whitehouse parking area is off the parkway? Or is it really off route 3 (to the east of the parkway)? I've only gone from the FVC.

(Looking on a different map, it looks like exit 34A, past the FVC and into the next area)

If you want to carpool, we can meet in Bedford (at Macy's) or in Concord (Einstein Brothers or the bus terminal/Park-And-Ride.) PM me if interested. I've got OldMan Ed already, so one (two if small) spaces available.

I'd be willing/interested in going up Liberty Springs and out Osseo if people want.

Tim
    Hey Tim,

It is at the Flume visitor center, just head for the far northern parking lot. The Bike Path starts from there along a paved (well, probably not noticable right now ) section from which it starts on your right (I believe, since I have only ever gone as far as the trail to Indian Head.)

Brian

Now you've got me confused about where you're starting, and I'm not even participating in this hike! Lriz said Whitehouse, but Brian said Flume.

The bike path does indeed start at the Flume Visitor's Center, but the Whitehouse Trailhead is as Tim notes at the next turn off of Rte 3 (the last turn before 3 joins the parkway) and is its own parking lot with privy.

At the Whitehouse parking lot you can cut through the brush about a dozen yards and be on the bike path instead of taking the meandering trail.

Note that the bike path is a snowmobile route in winter, so be alert, listen carefully, and stay to the edges of the path.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

And to add the confusion the WMG 27th ed says that the Whitehouse parking area is no longer available I've ever only heard of going from the Basin, using the optional Basin-Bushwhack, and from the hiker's area at the Flume Visitor's Center.

Since LRiz is mostly off-line, let's just stick with her plan. I'll probably call her if we don't hear otherwise some time early evening, and if she can't post an update I will, say by 9pm, OK? That way we can work out the exact spot, route, car spot, etc., if desired.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.